Oppositional/defiant chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SallyF, Jan 6, 2010.

1. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I think I'm going to have to teach my chickens to read and bring them into the house to read BYC posts. I read on here that chickens LOVED popcorn, so I popped some corn, let it cool and rushed to the run with it. Got the stink-eye, like "are you trying to poison us?" Read on here that chickens LOVE to dust-bathe in sand, so I bought a 50# bag of play sand, brought it home and fixed a sand bath. Stink-eye again... all they did was poop in it. Today I had an ash bucket to empty from the wood stove and read that they love to dust-bathe in wood ashes. Made them a nice dust/ash bath in the run. Guess what? Stink-eye again. I hate to tell them this, but I'm getting ready to read the freezer camp posts. Oh and they're protesting the cold weather by not laying since they can't go out and free-range. Dumb clucks!!![​IMG]

2. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know whats up with your chickens. Mine like popcorn and just about anything else i give them. Last week I made nice dust baths with sand for each pen and they have been dusting themselves ever since... You must have played with them too much and they think they are people. (Kidding)

3. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    Darn kids. Hope they grow up to have a bunch of kids just like them.[​IMG]

4. cap1717

cap1717 6 chooks, 1 slave. . . me!

Jun 12, 2009
    Mine turn up their beaks at a bunch of stuff that other peoples chooks love.. . and there is some stuff that they just seem to need to get used to, before they decide to try it. . . . They ARE interesting, aren't they?

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Bring them out a bucket of KFC... dont say anything..just eat it in front of them and be very quiet and ominous about it....
    they'll smarten up real quick... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  6. Keithk

Keithk New Egg

Dec 30, 2009
    Well mine love their dust bath bin, and get PO'd when I don't bring treats. Try some pasta, I boiled up some linguine today and took that out. They thought it was worms I'm sure, it was a wild battle to get it. I also have a worm farm and especially in the winter, I take them a special treat of worms every few weeks. By far though, the best is the cabbage or lettuce tetherball. I hang one from a rope, and it's wild watching them attack it. Especially here in Wisc., where it is very chilly and they don't get out as much, this helps keep them happy.

7. tampitt

tampitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Dallas
    I get bags of kettle corn from Sprouts and when there's only crumbs left or it's too stale for us, I throw it out to our girls and they fight over it like everything to eat.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    We're talking about chickens? I thought I read Oppositional/defiant children. [​IMG]

9. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    My chickens prefer regular ol' dirt over sand any day. Never tried popcorn. [​IMG] They do love breed though. They eat boiled eggs (of course I cut them in half), different types of greens, beans/peas, ham sandwiches (found that out the hard way one day [​IMG] ), cooked rice, and any left over KFC chicken [​IMG] . Don't get to disseminated they just might be a little stuck up (just kidding). Try different inexpensive things like your scraps (mine also like mac and cheese) and find what tickles their tummy. [​IMG] If not they do taste better than store bought chicken.

10. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Mine like mashed taters, boiled tater peels..we ae idahoan, after all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by