Oppositional/defiant chickens

SallyF

Songster
11 Years
Jul 5, 2009
Middle Tennessee
I think I'm going to have to teach my chickens to read and bring them into the house to read BYC posts. I read on here that chickens LOVED popcorn, so I popped some corn, let it cool and rushed to the run with it. Got the stink-eye, like "are you trying to poison us?" Read on here that chickens LOVE to dust-bathe in sand, so I bought a 50# bag of play sand, brought it home and fixed a sand bath. Stink-eye again... all they did was poop in it. Today I had an ash bucket to empty from the wood stove and read that they love to dust-bathe in wood ashes. Made them a nice dust/ash bath in the run. Guess what? Stink-eye again. I hate to tell them this, but I'm getting ready to read the freezer camp posts. Oh and they're protesting the cold weather by not laying since they can't go out and free-range. Dumb clucks!!!
barnie.gif

I don't know whats up with your chickens. Mine like popcorn and just about anything else i give them. Last week I made nice dust baths with sand for each pen and they have been dusting themselves ever since... You must have played with them too much and they think they are people. (Kidding)

Mine turn up their beaks at a bunch of stuff that other peoples chooks love.. . and there is some stuff that they just seem to need to get used to, before they decide to try it. . . . They ARE interesting, aren't they?

Bring them out a bucket of KFC... dont say anything..just eat it in front of them and be very quiet and ominous about it....
they'll smarten up real quick...
tongue.png

Last edited:
Well mine love their dust bath bin, and get PO'd when I don't bring treats. Try some pasta, I boiled up some linguine today and took that out. They thought it was worms I'm sure, it was a wild battle to get it. I also have a worm farm and especially in the winter, I take them a special treat of worms every few weeks. By far though, the best is the cabbage or lettuce tetherball. I hang one from a rope, and it's wild watching them attack it. Especially here in Wisc., where it is very chilly and they don't get out as much, this helps keep them happy.

I get bags of kettle corn from Sprouts and when there's only crumbs left or it's too stale for us, I throw it out to our girls and they fight over it like everything to eat.

My chickens prefer regular ol' dirt over sand any day. Never tried popcorn.
hu.gif
They do love breed though. They eat boiled eggs (of course I cut them in half), different types of greens, beans/peas, ham sandwiches (found that out the hard way one day
lau.gif
), cooked rice, and any left over KFC chicken
gig.gif
. Don't get to disseminated they just might be a little stuck up (just kidding). Try different inexpensive things like your scraps (mine also like mac and cheese) and find what tickles their tummy.
smile.png
If not they do taste better than store bought chicken.

Back
Top Bottom