Opposum for dinner? anyone? (Picture of dog with prey)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LaMamaGallina, Aug 13, 2007.

1. LaMamaGallina

LaMamaGallina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    everywhere
    Here is our proud dog she caught 2 opossums on the same night she grabbed one and when I gave her the command: -give it to me! she gave it to me, the opossums were not harmed. We put them in these cages for a little while and I gave them food an water, later that night we took them to hundreds of acres of forest and fields with ponds, creeks, frogs and berries, out in the country where they will not eat anybody's chickens.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  2. jessied1227

jessied1227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    What a pretty girl!!

Dog 2
    Possums 0

[​IMG]

Jess

3. LaMamaGallina

LaMamaGallina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    everywhere
    Thank you!

She was very proud of herself for having caught the opossums.
    She even posed for the camera [​IMG]
    Yes,
    Dog : 2
    Opossums: 0 ( They did not have the chance to eat chicken ) [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

What a good dog! and pretty too! Im glad she wasnt bitten by those nasty little critters. They sure have a set of teeth on them. Glad you was able to rehome them.

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Good girl!!!
    I've only been that close to possums once...I had guys redoing my porch and when they went under it, one of them came out screaming...Momma Possum and her baker's dozen of babies was under there too...
    She came out and dropped a couple of the babies...one, she just didn't come back for, the other she did.[​IMG]
    So I grabbed that baby after a few hours and took him inside...I called the Wildlife Center and they said to bring him in...I fed him a tiny bit of milk and he got the hiccups...LOL So I got Hiccups into a box and went to the school to pick up Mike. Hiccups didn't want to be in the box, so I got to pick my DS up with a possum baby hanging off my finger. LOL
    They're cute as babies, but look like rabid rats when they're grown.

6. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Good dog!! It's always great to have a possum dog around. [​IMG] Nice pic
    It's been along time since we've had any around here. My dog Rex has scared them all away. Now if we could just get rid of all the coons.

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I AM IMPRESSED!!!! Great dog.

My dog Spook will snatch a possum out of a hole but it won't be alive when she is done.

Good dog!! Good dog mom for taking them possums out some place where they wont do anyone no harm.

8. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    My dogs will stop but why? treats them all the same cook,possum, groundhog,mice,etc......when they get done I always relocate them to the LANDFILL, have you ever looked at a possums mouth why would you pick one up I would be worried about getting some kind of desease

9. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Possums are so dang ugly, Rabies don't even want to mess with them!!

It's true possums don't carry rabies like other animals do. It's believed to be something with the fat content.

Hmmmmmm maybe that means I would never get it either!

10. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    No one from the south read this thread or they would have directed us to the recipe thread [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by