Opposums and coons and other predators

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Rufflemyfeathers, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    Is there any sure rememdy to keeping possums and coons from hanging around the chicken coop/pen..Do they tear into chicken wire..Mine new hatch be weeks before go out but was looking for remedies that really work..I think husband going to put an electric fence around the chick pen too.

2. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Get a Great Pryanees.

3. Rufflemyfeathers

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    What is that??

Quote:

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Chicken wire is really meant for keeping the chickens in. Predators can rip it to shreds if they decide to. I think the electric fence is a good idea, but you should also be sure to keep the chickens locked up in their coop at night.

Burying wire underground around the run is also a good way of discouraging digging predators.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:
    Thats a BIG DOG!

6. Rufflemyfeathers

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    The chicken wire is all buried and yes I do plan on having them locked in there coop at night..just want to battle the problem before it exist. Thanks for any info..

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Use hardware cloth all along the outside perimeter of the run and use the electric wire about 6 inches off the ground, that should take care of alot of predators.

8. Rufflemyfeathers

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    What is hardware cloth if I may ask..I am new to this..

9. Duppydo

Duppydo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2008
    Hardware cloth is a pretty strong wire material. Allot of folks use 1/4x1/4 in.hardware cloth. It usally comes in a 4ft x50ft roll and is very expensive to buy..Sometimes it is called rat wire and will keep most predators, except bears..
    I use it on some areas of my coop, but mostly also use that 1in x1in wire coated 4ft fencing (mostly green or black)it's pretty strong and if installed well, will keep most predators out. A small rat can squeeze through, so if you have a rat problem you need to use smaller mesh rat wire.

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Hardware cloth is called that, because it's made like a woven cloth. The wire weaves over and under, like the threads in a cotton cloth, except the space between the wires is larger. The size of those spaces can vary, depending on what you want to buy, like 1/4" or 1/2". It kind of looks like a large, heavy duty screen. Only it screens out animals, instead of bugs.

When I use hardware cloth, I usually use the 1/2" size. Around here, it's made with a thicker gauge wire than the 1/4", so is stronger. 1/2" will keep out rats and the smallest species of weasel. 1/4" is needed to keep out mice. I use it over all the coop openings like windows and vents. It makes an excellent run, if you can afford it.

For runs, some people also layer chicken wire with a stronger, heavier wire fencing, like a 2x4 woven wire. Either that works or people just haven't posted about it not working. The losses to dogs and raccoons getting through wire that I've read, have all been stories about plain chicken wire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by