opringtons

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Gonzo, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    I love orpingtons! is there a hatchery out there that has many of the varieties? I'd love t someday have some lavender, splash or blue or anything really. I have buff, and I'm getting some white orps. next week. They are just so pretty!

2. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    If you are interested in variety and quality, buy some of Miss Prissy's eggs and hatch them out. She has the highest quality Orps out there.
    good luck!
    christina

3. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Orps are my favorite breed of chicken by far! I just now got some lavs and now I get to get some blacks...and I want some banty orps...and I want and I want...LOL

4. Gonzo

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    oh yeah! I have too many now! I figured I could give eggs to neighbors & family, and donate some to a local soup kitchen.
    Quote:

5. Gonzo

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Will do! I'm planning on getting a incubator for the kids for christmas. [​IMG]
    Quote:

6. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Depending what you want from your birds, might make a difference in where you get them. IF you want egg layer type, try any hatchery close to you. Orps are a popular breed and most hatcherys have the production line Orps. IF you like to exhibit them, like in 4H, I recommend you check out the UNITED ORPINGTON CLUB. I started a thread, a while back, expressing my interest in preserving or bettering my flock of Orps, and someone directed me to the UNITED ORPINGTON CLUB. That is the best place to get Exhibition Orps. There are several high quality Orpington breeders who are BYCers and members of UOC. Also read Poultry Press to see who is winning near you. Not the little shows, but the bigger shows. Poultry Press usually shows pics of the winners, this is a great way to guage what you might like and whom you can try to get birds from. That is how I started. I just turned one chicken year old and love my birds.

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Here is one of Miss Prissy's roo's I hatched out. He's a beauty! His name is Tristan. I have a current one that I'm trying to get uploaded now...if I manage it I will post it for you. He's even cuter AND bigger today [​IMG] Sorry for the poo in the pic [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:A great pic - -

- - and a wonderful example of the average chickens rather horrid toilet manners.
    Beautiful little side table and "blaaap!" - the wretch plops a turd on it.

That, folks, is why chickens don't belong in the house.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    That, folks, is why chickens don't belong in the house.

[​IMG] VERY TRUE! Yes he had to do it right before the picture! At least that is a table I save ONLY for chicken pictures.

Here is the link to the thread I have the current picture of him on if your interested.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=194130

10. Gonzo

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    he's beautiful! [​IMG]
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by