Optimal coop for 2 Orpingtons?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by saridout, May 11, 2010.

1. saridout

saridout Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    DFW
    hi there [​IMG] i'm very new to chickens, and i have some questions about coops. i plan on getting two orpingtons, probably buff. the space i have for the coop is about 6 X 20, with a small tree in the center, so it's really more like two spaces that are 6 X 10. what would be the best coop for my space and number/size of my birds? the more diminutive the coop, the better, as i'm trying to keep a nervous landlord happy. i've been considering an ark that has a coop on one side and a run on the other, or a two-story ark. is it better to have a larger run area, or a larger coop area? i'm concerned about getting a two-story ark, because it seems like the vertical space would be too cramped for large chickens like orpingtons. any advice?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It's really hard to say without knowing where you live. What is your climate like?

As for the ark business, if you mean one of those A-frame jobbies, they are really not very chickenfriendly and IMO should be avoided in nearly all circumstances. A rectangular (box-shaped) coop is really quite a lot better; it offers significantly more room for the chickens to actually use, and is mroe easily ventilated, and so forth and so on.

Good luck, have fun, welcome to BYC,

Pat

3. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I have buff orps too and I live in a northern, cold climate. I gave them significantly more space inside the coop than recommended. Am very glad that I did.

Coops are as varied as the chickens that go into them. Soooo many choices...

Have you checked out the coop design pages? That might be a good spot to check out to see if any of the designs are appealing to you.

Check back in and let us know how you're doing.

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  5. saridout

May 11, 2010
    DFW
    i live in north texas. it gets to be around 110F at most and 20F at the least, and in the summer there's fairly high humidity. the ark type i had had in mind is like this:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/43331_move.jpg

before i got interested in a-frames, i had looked at Ware chicken coops. what is the consensus on those?

citychook: if the climate is warm to hot, is it better to have more run space? i've looked at LOTS of coops, and many of them are visually appealing, but i don't know yet which coop is most practical

buff: i'm afraid that two is my absolute limit. that coop is quite a bit bigger than what i had in mind o_O

6. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    From experience, I would suggest that you should start with 3 chickens instead of two. I had two to start and then lost one to an unfortunate accident (which be prepared, will happen from time to time with chickens) and then was scrambling to find a companion for my lonely girl, which created quarantine/integration issues, on and on. Just a thought!

7. saridout

May 11, 2010
    DFW
    that's something i had thought of, but i don't think i have any other option. if i get three in preparation for one of them to not survive, if they all survive, i'll be in a tight spot. i have a landlord who shares my duplex to whom i have to prove that chickens will not cause him any annoyance, and i promised him that i'd only get two.

8. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Quote:Well honey, I'm not in a warm climate, so I'm not the best one to give you advice. I've got the cold-thing down. But in general, folks recommend 10 sq/ft per chicken in the run. I did 12 sq/ft and would give them twice that if I had the opportunity to do it again. And shade will be important, so if you don't have trees then you might want to consider covering a portion of the run. Chickens tend to have a tougher time in hot weather than colder weather.

If I only had 2 chickens, I'd convert a dog house to a coop. Raise it up, allow for run space beneath and attach a nice sized run as well. Put it where your landlord won't care that the grass will be dead. Cover it if you get lots of rain.

Sorry I can't be of more help on this one.

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    In Texas I would suggest that what you mostly want is a larger area of VERY WELL SHADED run, rather than extra-spacious indoors. Preferably put the whole assembly in a larger area of shade (from a building or large tree), as large pools of shade make things a lot cooler than just a tarp over the chicken run or something like that.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

So USE that small tree in the center if you can, if it's large enough to give a little shade. I would think a covered run of at least 4 x 5 or 4 x 6 with a little three sided shelter area (to shelter against blowing rains) built into it up high (to free up run space below) would be good for your area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by