1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

options to whiz bang plucker what about hand plucking rubber gloves?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by maf2008, Dec 8, 2009.

1. maf2008

maf2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Ok, I cant build the whizbang, not evn going to try, I like the featherman pro better, I cant afford a new machine.... I can rent one, but dont have a truck do get one here...

But I want to process a batch of about 25 meaties and see what will happen- I have neighbors that know how to process chickens too. Sooooo I have heard of scalding a butchered chicken at 150 degrees and "scraping feathers" with strong rubber gloves that have rubber fingers-

I know its not as fast or as much fun. but didnt people do this years ago? I'll be processing chickens 2 or 3 times a year...... who has really used the "rubber gloves technique" and IF I cant use an electric plucker, what are the details and tips I need to know????? thanks (there is a neighbor lady that will process for $2 each.... this might be better?)

2. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    To be honest, I don't understand the big deal about plucking. It is pretty easy and goes fairly fast. I think the only time a plucker is really warranted is when you have several dozen birds to do at a time, and then only because it speeds up the process.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Cabelas has a drill attachment plucker - if you really wanted one, and there are instructions here on how to make them.

4. maf2008

maf2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    do you use gloves? what kind do you dip in water 150 degrees... what is your method and any advice for "hand plucking"?

Quote:

5. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Quote:
    Bare hands. I dip and 150 degree water right after the bird has bled out, hang it from a bar, and immediately pluck. I put a garbage can with plastic liner immediately below the bird, pull the feathers and drop them right in. The wing and tail feathers require a little more elbow grease, but not all that much. The wet feathers can build up on your hands, so there is a yuk factor, but we have a water hose with nozzle handy for a quick rinse off and back at it when it has build up to much. Same for turkeys.

Simple stuff, really.

6. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    some of the plucking problems can be how the birds is killed, beheading will cause the feathers follicles to contract where a jugular cut and hang will cause the follicles open up, I can do a turkey in less then 20 my self with the bird hanging by the feet with a choke chain and that's killing, plucking and gutting (scalding not needed). Most chickens will need to be scalded, but hand plucking is fast if you have the temp. right, if you have help you can do 25 in less than a half a day and once you done it a couple times it does go faster, the only advise I have is do it on a nice day, the only thing I hate with scald plucking is the smell of wet hot feathers

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I too don't think plucking by hand is that big of a deal, especially if you don't have many to do. But man oh man, if you ever get an opportunity to use a WhizBang, use it! Those things are amazing! The same guy who invented the WhizBang has a great online tutorial on the other aspects of butchering. Here's his recommendations on getting a good scald for hand or machine plucking: http://thedeliberateagrarian.blogspot.com/2009/02/how-to-properly-scald-chicken-my-never.html

Learning
    to get a good scald makes all the difference in ease of plucking. You can certainly try both ways, with or without gloves, & see which way you prefer. Some folks like those knit fabric gloves with the raised rubber dots.

And plucking a chicken is different from cleaning the lint filter of your dryer. There are different types of feathers on different parts of the chicken. Some can almost be scraped off like you describe, others need to be grabbed & pulled. I like to hang the scalded bird by his feet tied together with his body at about shoulder height so I can easily use both hands for plucking.

Whether or not you decide to use gloves, or a plucking machine, or hire the neighbor, you should butcher at least a few yourself so you'll gain better appreciation for the meat that ends up on your plate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by