Oral antibitoics - the key to being the "big ugly hairy human" LOL

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Jan 24, 2012.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    My ducks (the females) just barely tolerate me. Will not eat out of my hand, hate - hate - hate being picked up, etc. After two weeks of treating for bumblefoot with over the counter antibiotics, I now have oral baytril to give them. I am truly the "big, ugly, hairy human" that makes them run now. Have no perfected the technique to giving them oral antibiotics...but we are all hoping I perfect it soon. Only given them two doses. First dose was fine....second dose they knew what was coming and think I got more on me that in them! What we do not learn to do in our first year of having ducks!

2. duckdad

duckdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Getting older ducks to learn to "like" you is a challenge. They are running on thousands if not millions of yrs of instinct and their instinct for survival says RUN if its bigger, smaller, a different color or smells different than a duck.

The only way around this is to hand raise them from birth. Even my 2 big ducks that I raised from 1 week old to now, (may '11) will always back away when I approach...especially the hen Squeek. She jumps, startled and backs off...then realizes its dad, and slowly walks back to me. They will approach, but If I approach they always back away at first. Thats their instinct... Being low on the food chain means run first and think about it later.

I would suggest spending as much time with them as possible so they get familiar with you and your voice. Talk to them,..they DO remember voices and sounds. Figure out what their very favorite treats are and have them in your hand. AT first place the treat in a bowl or on the ground. Let them see this. Then after a few days hold it in your open hand and let them see. Don;t give it to them unless they come close. Invite them in and eventually they will come as soon as they feel safe and secure.

Don;t take it personally...they do what they do to survive. Getting a duck to trust is like getting a politician to tell the truth. It takes spending alot of time with them to get them to open up and relax.

3. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    [​IMG] Love this! Ain't it the truth!

4. bexnd

bexnd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2012
    when i gave my duck antibiotics i soaked it in slightly stale bread, mind you she would eat anything. doubt i'd have the same success with my fussy drake who will only eat his feed and cheesey biscuits lol

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I need another person to hold the duck while I give oral medication. So far I have been able to get liquid. Pills? oy. Don't know how that would go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by