Lyndssxo08

Songster
May 3, 2018
Purcellville, VA
My Coop
My Coop
hi everyone!

I’m posting for a friend of mine and she has a rooster that has been down. His comb is really really blue and he won’t eat or drink and just sits. When she opened his mouth it looked like an oral lesion and after googling it looks just like an oral canker. She has been giving him antibiotics, but it doesn’t seem to help. Has anyone else had experience with them? The sooner the better on advice because we don’t want to lose the fella! Please help!

I haven’t treated canker, but many say it smells very rotten. Other things can cause those things inside the throat as well, such as bacteria, viral, or fungal disease. Canker is a protozoa, so metronidazole is usually given. Flagyl is the human brand name via prescription, and most chicken people get FishZole or pigeon metronidazole online. You can check a Petsmart or Petco for one product to use that contains it. But online you will find a better selection. Dosage is 250 mg daily for 5 days. A picture inside the beak would be helpful. Of course vet care would be best, and they could give oxygen.

Here is the one that Petsmart or Petco may have, just check the label for metronidazole, and below that is FishZole:
upload_2019-1-17_19-13-42.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-17_19-12-6.jpeg
    upload_2019-1-17_19-12-6.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 9
I've had cases of canker several times, and I was able to catch it early. I use a Q-tip with some oregano oil and swab it twice per day. I'm not a fan of using antibiotics on my animals, so I try to do things naturally as often as possible. I've always had success with the oregano oil and canker. Good luck!

Wet fowl pox can look a lot like canker, but I don’t believe it has the odor. Has the friend dealt with any pox last fall where contagious scabs may have been shed?

Here is a link for the pigeon metronidazole:
https://pigeonsuppliesplus.com/products/metronidazole-20-pdr-flagyl-250-grams

Here is a link or two to read about canker:
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/digestive-problems/index.aspx

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/trichomonosis/overview-of-trichomonosis

I've had cases of canker several times, and I was able to catch it early. I use a Q-tip with some oregano oil and swab it twice per day. I'm not a fan of using antibiotics on my animals, so I try to do things naturally as often as possible. I've always had success with the oregano oil and canker. Good luck!
Thank you for the fast response! I’ll let her know :)

Also a big cause of canker is wild pigeons in the chicken yard. I have about six or seven pigeons living in my barn. My dad is trying to take care of them, but there are so many! I routinely check my birds for canker. I haven't seen the pigeons in my chicken pen as much lately, which is good. I'd let your friend know so that if this is perhaps a factor she can take care of it!

Also a big cause of canker is wild pigeons in the chicken yard. I have about six or seven pigeons living in my barn. My dad is trying to take care of them, but there are so many! I routinely check my birds for canker. I haven't seen the pigeons in my chicken pen as much lately, which is good. I'd let your friend know so that if this is perhaps a factor she can take care of it!
I would have never thought about that - our point!

Back
Top Bottom