Oral dosing with Safe Guard Help - Update on Peahen

MinxFox

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
Pensacola, FL
I have had my eye on my peahen Xena for the past few days and today I decided she is sick. I need to give her some meds but I forgot how much I used when I oral dosed Ice a few years ago when she was showing the same symptoms. Anyone know? I was guessing 1 cc?

Edit:
I think I will call Doug...

Last edited:
1cc per 10 pounds of weight and if you give her a little to much it will not hurt her, when my weiner dog got worms I questioned my vet as to why when he was on heartguard and such and he said I could go ahead and worm him with safeguard on top of his pill that that is why it is called safe guard, it is hard to overdose with it.

When I get a droopy peas I have found that a couple small does of polyvisol did wonders.
Hope she gets to feeling better soon
hugs.gif

ya'll been getting much rain?

I gave her 1 ml
She was not that hard to hold and my mom squirted the stuff in her mouth and she didn't spit it out so she should be good. Hopefully tomorrow she will want to eat. I remember that Ice was starting to feel better the next day.

We have been getting a lot of rain here. It rains almost every day and sometimes the backyard looks like a pond. Our little dog Seeka loves it. She runs through the puddles and comes in all wet. Today it hasn't rained and I hope it doesn't rain on our pool party that we are having in a few days...It will be a Peacock Pizza Pool Party.
cool.png
A lot of people I know haven't seen my birds yet so it should be interesting especially when sometimes people are afraid of the peafowl because they are big.

My vet told me to give .5cc per 2.2 pounds, which is 50mg/kg and well within the safe zone. My mature males get 3cc and the hens get 2cc. To treat for cappilary worms I think one needs to treat several days in a row..

-Kathy

RIP Xena
Xena was showing all the same signs Ice showed a few years back when Ice got sick. I treated Ice the same way and Ice quickly got better after I gave her some liquid safe guard in her mouth but I don't know if I didn't give Xena enough or if she was more sick then I thought. Yesterday I had a funny feeling that something would be different about today's visit to feed the peas. All the peahens were laying out in the shade soaking up the sun so when I saw Xena lying under a bush I thought she was just relaxing too. The bush was in the way so I couldn't see her face so I walked until I could see her face then realized her neck was limp on the ground and she was dead. I picked her up and she felt heavy to me but I didn't touch her much because I don't really like handling the dead ones. All I can figure is it was a mixture of her being sicker than I thought and I might should have given her 2-3 cc instead of one. I feel super bad for Alto. Alto loves India Blue peahens and the first one he ever loved, Pip, was killed by raccoons and since Xena came into his life he had another pretty peahen. You could tell he really favored Xena so I am really sorry that he has lost all of his favorite girls. Xena was the lowest ranking bird in the pen and one of Ice's chicks. Ice had three peahens and Fiona was killed earlier this year by a raccoon so now I only have one peahen from Ice left. Xena and Fiona were best friends so I guess Xena is now with Fiona. I really liked having 10 peafowl: 5 peahens and 5 peacocks, but now I am down to 9.
-----------------------------
Do I need to go ahead and put safe guard in the water just to make sure no one else comes down with something? I was going to wait to do that in the fall but should I go ahead and do that now?

Very sorry for your loss... I seriously doubt that giving her more Safegaurd would have made a difference, but I would definitely worm the others just to be safe. Is there any way you send her off for a necropsy? {{{{{hugs}}}}}

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom