1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oranary Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DesRaeAnn, Jun 15, 2016.

1. DesRaeAnn

DesRaeAnn New Egg

I purchased (5) new baby chickens early in the spring and little by little I have been introducing them to my other (5) chickens that are just over a year old. I have one older chicken (Lily) that is just "mean" to the younger chickens. How do you break a chicken from being mean? Lily chases the younger ones all over the yard to peck at them and when in the coop she corners them to peck at them. I had a wall made of wood and chicken wire for a couple of weeks that separated them in the coop but allowed them to see and smell one another...I have since removed the wall so that the younger chickens could go outside at will but Lily will not let them leave the space that they were originally quarantined to. I would like for them to commingle and go between the coop and fenced yard at their leisure but that does not seem to be happening.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Put mean Lily in the separate pen for a week and then try letting them all together.
    It should work out then?
    Pecking order needs to be set.

3. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    I'd suggest you remove Lily from the other chickens for a week or so the other chickens will forget about her and when you put her back into the coop with the other chickens she'll be lower in the pecking order and doesn't have the right to boss anybody around. I hope this works! [​IMG] But as chickens really said they need to establish their pecking order. [​IMG]

4. DesRaeAnn

DesRaeAnn New Egg

Thank you, I will try that. She has been terrible to many of the chickens so this may be exactly what she needs.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Make sure they can see each other but not touch. Other than that you will be back too day one again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by