1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

orange ants??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by spish, Aug 16, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    we recently built a new coop in the garden for our mini chickens, i felt it would be that bit safer if they were nearer the main house. anyhow after a few weeks a began to notice lots of orangy coloured ants around the base of the run attached to the coop. today when i did the monthly clean out, i took out the food and water containers and there underneath were big 'mounds' full of thousands of these ants.

my question is....are these harmful to my little bantams? how can i get rid of them without poison? (incase the little bantams get to the poison in the coop)
    i dont think they are fire ants...they seem more orange in colour than red.....

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I just hatched 13 chicks & put them in the brooder I left for about 20 minutes & returned & dang fire ants had attacked one of the biddies.I used DE food grade & it stopped my ant problem. I had to put the biddie down she was in such pain. The ants literary bit her all over it was sad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by