orange beading on egg? help??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HumanChirpyMama, Dec 7, 2014.

1. HumanChirpyMama

HumanChirpyMama Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2014
    bradford, NY
    Okay so I'm incubating for the first time and the run into something I can't explain. I've got 24 eggs set, nine of which are in lockdown. I candled on day seventeen and they were all alive and very much active. Then I went to check on them this morning and one of the eggs had what looked like liquid on the outside. Figuring it was just condensation that might have dropped from my top when I bumped it, I went to dry it off and realized it was sticky? It's amber in color and won't wipe off. Yesterday when I checked the little guy in there was the liveliest one I had. I have no idea what's going on. It's only happened to this one. Anybody out there encountered something similar?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I've not had this personaly happen but my thought would be that it is coming from the egg. As in the yolk with the colour you have described. Have you had bad smell from the incubator?

I would check this egg again for any cracks and give it a good smell. Other than the egg seeping fluid I'm not sure :confused:

3. Canadianislupus

Canadianislupus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    B.C. Canada
    I don't have any experience incubating, I'm setting my first batch for the NYD hatch-along, but everything I have read indicated that a leaky egg is a rotten egg. If it was still alive and moving the day before it started leaking though I don't think that can be possible. If it was just one drop it is possible that something may have fallen into the incubator when it was opened. I wouldn't worry if it was just one drop, especially if it doesn't happen again. Hope this helps a little [​IMG]

4. HumanChirpyMama

Nov 11, 2014
    bradford, NY

I don't know how it was possible either, he was my liveliest little guy I had. But the sticky stuff was EVERYWHERE before I finally candled him. The airsac was shaped like swiss cheese, which I had never seen before. So I tried water candling and got no movement. After I was sure he was gone I cracked it open and it was pretty devastating. I don't know if bacteria can even work that fast in a matter of a day but it was bad. :/

5. HumanChirpyMama

Nov 11, 2014
    bradford, NY

I candled him and the airsac had an entire half circle cut into the section of the egg the baby was supposed to be in. So after no movement there and no movement water candling (which lead me to see air coming up out of the egg) I realized he was gone and did and eggtopsy. The yolk was nasty in color...I think that's what it was. Though it didn't smell before I broke it...and this all happened within 24 hours of him dancing around in his shell. I don't for the life of me know what happened. :/ but thank you for the input! Any suggestions are more than appreciated.

6. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  7. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  8. HumanChirpyMama

Nov 11, 2014
    bradford, NY
    ONE OF MY LITTLE ONES IS HATCHING. I thought this day would never come. I'm so emotional oh my goodness

9. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Ooh congratulations :celebrate

It is such an amazing thing to watch, how they come out of the egg really is a maracle. Has it started zipping yet or just externally pipped?

10. HumanChirpyMama

Nov 11, 2014
    bradford, NY

I have two now! :) I'm assuming they have just externally pipped. This is my first successful hatch. How can I tell when they start to zip?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by