Orange County, CA permit question

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by hatrabbit, Feb 3, 2013.

1. hatrabbit

hatrabbit Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    Hi All,

I was given 2 adult Buff Orpington (I think) hens, and suddenly have to learn the ins & outs of keeping chickens. I've pretty much got their dwelling squared away and got them happy but a big concern is how the neighbors will react to this. We've had problems in the past but now we keep the peace by staying away from each other. I think that even if the neighbors know I have chickens they won't raise a fuss if the birds stay as docile and quiet as they are now (I've had them almost a week). But when and if the 'egg songs' start I think may end up getting a visit from the city.

Which brings me to my question. I'm in Huntington Beach, and online I read that a $215 permit is required to raise chickens. Is this something that I'm supposed to buy annually, or just a one time fee? If it's an annual renewal I don't think I'll get the permit & take my chances. Of course I'd rather be legal about this but I feel that cost every year would be ridiculous.

Thanks

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    In St. Louis County we have over 92 separate cities with almost as many different rules from none allowed to unlimited numbers and roosters too. Some have ridiculous fees which removes any incentive to produce your own eggs.

I really never considered ordinances when I moved here because I'm rather isolated but I did take the stealth mode the first couple years.
    I planted evergreens for a visual barrier and used shade cloth on the sides of the pens.
    I was in my garden when the egg song started once and realized the lawnmower across the street was drowning out the hens sound.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Go back to where you read about the permit to see what office issues it, and then call them and ask your questions. You do not have to say that you already have chickens; just say that you are looking into it and want to find out the particulars of being legal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by