Orange County NY, Village of Woodbury, ordinances?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Gamble, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Gamble

Gamble New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    Hey everyone. Just got a coop and six hens! Very excited but didn't research permit stuff at all so am hoping to hear from other people in my area regarding exactly what the restrictions are if any. I'm in the village of Woodbury in the Central Valley/Highland Mills neighborhood.

Ide rather not call town hall if I don't have to.

Thanks all!

-Gamble

Edited to add: Below is a quote from the town website, it seems to imply that 'fowl' are not prohibited so long as they don't disturb the peace. Am I interpreting this correctly? Its all a little vague and I still cant find any thing dealing with keeping chickens specifically.

"Running at large prohibited.

The owner, possessor or person harboring any animal/dog, whether licensed or not, or other domestic animal, fowl or bird shall not allow it to run at large in any public street, highway or road or other public place unless it shall be effectively restrained by a chain, rope or leash which, in the case of a animal/dog, shall not exceed six feet in length and, in the case of any other domestic animal, fowl or bird, shall not exceed 10 feet in length and unless it shall be attended by a person of adequate age and discretion to control it. Such owner, possessor or harborer shall not allow any such animal/dog, animal, fowl or bird to run at large upon premises owned or occupied by any other person without permission of such owner or occupant. Any person owning or harboring any such animal/dog or other domestic animal, fowl or bird for a week prior to the filing of a complaint shall be regarded as the owner thereof for purposes of this article. If any such animal/dog or other domestic animal, fowl or bird is owned by a child under the age of 18 years, the head of the household shall be deemed to have custody and control thereof and shall be responsible for any violations of this article relating thereto."

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    Chickens are referred to as the Fowl. You are ok in Woodbury. I live in Rockland and we are ok as long as we don't disturb neighbors, dont have more than 20, keep them in a coop and run, and don't smell up the place.

3. Gamble

Gamble New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks so much!! That's just what I was hoping for.

4. slojoe

slojoe New Egg

Oct 19, 2012
    Can someone tell me who I can sell my 10 laying chickens to near Cuddebackville,NY?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by