Orange Feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EggyErin, Jan 24, 2012.

1. EggyErin

EggyErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    N. Ga mountains
    I have a 5yr-old New Hampshire who has been sporting orange-ish feet the last few days. Her ankles and feet look like they were lightly stained. She went through a hard molt several months ago, during which time her comb drooped. Her feathers came back fine but her comb stills droops and now I think she may be either eggbound or internally laying. I've read up about both on here but can't really figure out which. Yesterday I cleaned her butt and there was a hard, swollen spot under her vent. Today the lump isn't as hard but she clearly doesn't like me to pick her up. Any ideas on what the color change means? She runs around the same places as her flockmates so I don't think it's anything outside that she stepped in, like wet red clay. My other N.H. doesn't have this orange, nor do any of the other chickens.

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    could you post a picture?

3. EggyErin

Apr 2, 2011
    N. Ga mountains
    My camera is dead! So sorry, no pictures. She's still looking poorly though not acting as poorly as she looks.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I wonder if this is hormones. It is common to see legs turn a sort of reddish orange from these, in both sexes. I see it clearly in my roo. I don't know whether there are other causes, though.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  5. EggyErin

Apr 2, 2011
    N. Ga mountains
    I wondered about the hormones, too, and whether or not that has something to do with her floppy comb and potential internal problems. She's been sleeping under the coop the last couple of nights, way under where I can't reach her. She was sleeping in the nest boxes. I don't know if this means she's getting worse.

6. fancyfeathers38

fancyfeathers38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    Pics would be good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by