1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Orange poo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickgirl11, Sep 27, 2010.

1. chickgirl11

chickgirl11 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    Citra, Florida
    [​IMG][​IMG]I have two 13-day old chicks.I dKnow much about them considering that I am 11 and have never raised chicks before.they seem to be doing fine and all but I don't know about the poo.was brown and hardly runny at all just a week ago. Perfect based on another post. But now it is orangy and kind of runny. Every now and then, it will look like it did last week. Is this poop okay? They are eating just fine. They are on Nutrena chick start and grow and have clean water to drink.
    I forgot to mention that one was a barred rock and the other was a road island red. both girls [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If it is just a goopy sort of consistency, yes, it is fine. At this age I believe it is called "cecal" feces, and usually smells horrible compared to normal poo. I think it's just part of their growth spurt.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  4. soccerbabiesmama

soccerbabiesmama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2010
    Thanks so much for that link! Totally helpful:) I was so worried about my girls and was feeding them kefir and d.e. to resolve what I thought was diarrhea. Now I know, it's just normal waste:)

5. chickgirl11

chickgirl11 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    Citra, Florida
    Thank you so much. Yes it is cecal or whatever you said. I went on the website and my chick's poo is normal. Thanks again.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Both of you are very welcome.
    Good luck with your chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by