Orange water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by roseyred, Nov 29, 2014.

1. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    My new double wall galvanized steel feeder is orange on the inside ): now the water is orange and has like a oil slick ontop. I gave them freah water in a bowl till I figure out what to do. It is rusting?? I just got it? It does it with or without Apple cider vinegar. Is the apple cider vinegar causing this? Could it be my well water?

2. I have heard not to put apple cider vinegar in steel waterers because it will cause the steel to rust badly.
    My steel waterer, with nothing but water inside, rusted pretty badly for the three years we had it, and the chickens drank the orange water for a while. If you wipe it out, it minimizes the effect. I would just clean it regularly to keep the rust from getting in the water.

3. roseyred

Jun 5, 2014
    So what's a solution for a waterer that dosnt rust? I clean it out every other day. I just feel bad for the ladies. I wouldn't drink that crap...maybe a rubber tub would be better. Could that rest on a heated base?

4. I think so, as long as the tub is sturdy and the heated base isn't too terribly hot.

5. roseyred

Jun 5, 2014
    Thank you. I have this glass drink dispenser somewhere and was thinking if I removed the spout so it just had a hole I could place it in a rubber tub and it could be a waterer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by