Orange yolks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ih66series, Jul 20, 2011.

1. ih66series

ih66series Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    Somone who buys eggs from me said something about an orange yolk and I told them it was beta karotine that comes from eating grass and other green things. Then I opened one and it was a really wierd orange color. Any other reasons for orange yolks?

2. elevan

elevan Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Are they eating marigolds? Or anything else that is bright orange or yellow?

3. Jynx21

Jynx21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    Roy, Washington
    I noticed that my yolks were a very dark reddish orange after my hens dug up a small termite nest in an old stump. They might be getting some extra protien from bugs.

4. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    It's a sign that the hens have been eating bugs and plant life, however some hens are fed marigolds on purpose to make the yolks look like free range eggs.

5. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Quote:Sneaky!

6. pwdhorn

pwdhorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Dothan
    O'ragne u gett'n eggs?

7. ih66series

ih66series Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    no marigolds but maybe its a protein thing

8. sanyijr

sanyijr Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2011
    Livermore
    Doesn't corn have a similar effect?

9. mcostas

mcostas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    probably from the grass and other dark greens they eat. I knew someone that lived on the coast and fed her hens crab and scrimp scraps. The yolks were red! I just ran out and offered mine some marigold but they didn't seem interested. Mine have dark yellow yolks.

I think protien affects the egg whites. Mine have really thick viscoius whites! I used to gag when I read the labels on the eggs at teh store. Bragging about feeding vegatarian diet?!?!? I can understand the necesaity in it for commercial purposes but to twist that around like it's a good thing . . .

10. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

How orange are you talking? I thought all farm fresh eggs were supposed to have darker yolks, but I recently just got my first ones and the yolks look darker than store bought.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by