Orange?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FarmerGrant011, Oct 15, 2011.

1. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    Can chickens eat oranges or tangerines??

2. Ersula

Ersula Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    Maine
    I don't think they're supposed to have any citrus at all.

3. quietlyscheming

quietlyscheming Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2011
    Crosby, TX
    Yup, according to the Treats Chart , it's a no-no but there's nothing saying why.

Anyone know why they can't eat citrus fruits?

4. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    Would they eat it? I think I was told that orange seeds can cause the egg yolks to turn green, or some other color, but haven't tried it yet.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    From what I've read they're allowed citrus, they just don't like it.

Honestly I don't see what is in it that would harm them. [​IMG] I think it's just a preference for most.

6. quietlyscheming

quietlyscheming Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2011
    Crosby, TX
    I have no idea. Anyone know definitively if it's good or bad and why?

7. Christie Loves Silkies

Christie Loves Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my roos pecked at an orange that i was eating a while ago and sneezed.

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I believe there is an "old wives tale" that poultry will stop laying if fed citrus.

Sometimes it takes several times before a bird will eat a new food.

Imp

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The "Treats Chart" is really uninformative and has a lot of false information posted in it and should either be taken down or corrected..
    Now back to the OP's question, "Can chickens eat oranges or tangerines?" There is no problem with chickens eating citrus.

When researching why citrus is bad for chickens I found nothing (not one thing) what I did find is that some commercial poultry feed contain byproduct or waste material from citrus juice extraction.

From Poultry Science ---

•Evaluation of Waste Activated Sludge (Citrus) as a Poultry Feed Ingredient
    2. Quality and Flavor of Broilers, Egg Yolk Color and Egg Flavor1
    S. A. Angalet2, Jack L. Fry3, B. L. Damron and R. H. Harms
    Department of Poultry Science, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32611

Cobb color-sexed broilers were fed diets containing either 0.0, 2.5, 5.0 or 10.0 percent citrus sludge. Three replications of ten males and ten females each were randomly selected from each treatment at the end of the eight-week feeding period. No significant (P< 0.05) differences among levels of citrus sludge were found in carcass weight, percent cooking loss, shear force or sensory evaluation.

Eggs collected from Babcock B-300 hens fed diets prepared with citrus sludge at levels of 0.0, 2.5, 5.0, 7.5 and 20.0% were examined for differences in yolk color and development of off-flavors. Color differences (P < 0.05) were observed by reflectance colorimetery and the taste panel. The hue of the yolks increased (was more orange) as the dietary citrus sludge levels were increased. No significant flavor differences were detected by the taste panel for either the yolk or albumen

citrus sludge - byproduct /waste material from citrus juice extraction.

Chris

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  10. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    I've always heard that citrus will weaken their egg shells if they eat it...and I've never seen a chicken actually willingly eat it either as they dont seem to care for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by