Orchard hay

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Nutsaboutchickens, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Nutsaboutchickens

Nutsaboutchickens Hatching

Sep 27, 2018
    Can I feed my chickens orchard grass?

chickens really likes this.
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    How do you plan on feeding this grass to your chickens???
    I provide Hay, and Lawn Grass Clippings to my chickens in their run area. They scratch thru it constantly. I do not see them actually eating long strands/blades of grass. They do eat fresh grass blades out of my growing lawn. They nibble small/short pieces that they bite off themselves.
    I have read a few posts where chickens consumed long strands of grass and it resulted in Impacted crop. A few ended up way worse. :hit
    If you intend to provide your grass as part of the chickens feed, I suggest you chop up or grind up so there are no long strands. Make sure that they also have grit, or at least access to natural earth grit available.
    WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

3. Timothy Menezes

Timothy Menezes Songster

Nov 27, 2017
    Monterey, California
    As a snack or supplement, yes absolutely. And honestly even if you feed to much of it they would just eat their fill and leave the rest.

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Yep. I toss a flake of hay to my Birds during the winter.
    They pick through it and eat what interests them.

5. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I've been giving my Hens and Pullets a 1/4 flake of compressed Alfalfa hay once or twice a week in both pens for a month or two. GC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: