Orchid Growers?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by chicken boy sam, Sep 26, 2010.

1. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Any orchid growers out there?

2. goldenluver

goldenluver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Springfield, Oregon
    I have about a dozen or more orchids

3. chicken boy sam

Dec 21, 2009
    Any pictures? I'm thinking about getting one from a local store.

4. goldenluver

May 20, 2009
    Springfield, Oregon
    [​IMG]
    this is the only one in bloom right now. they usually bloom during the winter and can last up to 6 months.

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I used to grow orchids. I finally gave them up after realizing how much space they were taking up in my garden window. I only got about 3 months or so of blooms, and couldn't guarantee that they would all bloom each year. So I am more in to succulents, and ordinary houseplants. I do have an Anthurium that blooms nearly all year long.

6. chicken boy sam

Dec 21, 2009
    I have to say, I do LOVE my spider plant! My mom had one, but she forgot to water it for months and it died. So, I took the one bit of barely alive plant (It was on one of those branch things) and rooted it. I LOVE it when it flowers because it's so pretty! I'll have to change the topic to Houseplant growers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    When I started my job at the current place I work, I was in training in one of the computer labs for a couple weeks. It's an inside room of the building, no windows, and usually no or low lights. There was a little lonely plant in the corner, two 3" long leaves, and BONE dry. I finally finished training, poor plant never had care, so I took it and left a note with my new desk location, if the owner ever wanted to claim it.

After 6 months, I had this:
    [​IMG]

It desperately needs repotting, but I don't know how to handle most houseplants, let alone orchids (I kill most houseplants). It's sending a new thingy out now to make another stem of flowers [​IMG] I love it!

8. goldenluver

May 20, 2009
    Springfield, Oregon
    orchids are supposed to be root bound, planted in a bark material and have holes in the pot, let dry between waterings as well

9. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Quote:I think that's why it likes me - I forget to water it all the time [​IMG]

10. chicken boy sam

Dec 21, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by