Order chicks or find my own?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FriendlyFlyer, Feb 14, 2012.

1. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Buy chicks online or find some at a swap meet? Ok, so I am in highschool and raising chickens and I love it!!! Last year I ordered 9 chickens from my local feed store and they have all grown great and healthy. This spring I would also like to get more birds but I'm not sure how to go about it...

1. I could order the birds I want (Old English Game Bantams and Guinea Fowl) from Ideal poultry.

2. I could go to a swap meet (which as a large selection to choose from) and hope to find what I want there.

My questions are: What way would be the best? Which birds would be healthier? What would you do?

My second round of concerns are that I will be graduating soon and seeing my birds less, so should I get chicks or adult birds? Raising chicks is soooo much fun and a major part of the experience but if I got adult birds I could enjoy them while they're grown and whatnot. What would you do? Please I need any advice you can give me.
    By the way, I am planning on going to the swap meet anyway to buy a few pigeons, so I could use some advice on raising adult pigeons if you could. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Glad you're enjoying your chickens!! They're so much fun!

Go to your local swap and see if they have what you're looking for. If not, you can simply order them from the hatchery OR you can check out the auctions here on BYC to see if anyone in your area has what you're wanting. You can also go to the "Where Am I" section of your location and post what you're looking for to see if anyone close to you has those birds.

Getting adults or chickies will be a matter of what works best for your situation. The baby chicks are more time consuming than adults, but that's all the fun!

[​IMG]

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I don't know a thing about pigeons and whether you get chicks or adults is really a matter of preference/situation.

I just wanted to issue the standard reminder because I've heard too many sad stories... Putting many birds in close contact (such as at a swap meet) introduces risk of passing around a contagious disease. Some respiratory infections are easily transmitted by air so even if the birds are all in separate cages and nobody touches them, there is still a risk. So, any bird purchased under those conditions should be placed in quarantine for a minimum of two weeks so that they can be watched for signs of illness prior to being introduced to the rest of your flock. Please make sure you have a suitable home away from your coop where your newly purchased bird(s) can live for a while if you get anything from a swap. That's not to say it's a bad idea, just that you have to make preparations for that just like you'd make preparations for housing chicks.

4. Fly Be Free

Fly Be Free Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    I too was considering the swap meets. However, I worry because of how the birds are raised and such. There is a lot to consider when you're introducing a bird to your flock and you don't know about it's health. I'm looking for someone reputable locally.

5. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Thank you everyone. you've given me a lot to think about but I think I might just try your idea Alien Chick, I'll look at the swap meet and try to find what I'm looking for and if not, I'll just order them. I'll just be getting my birds around May instead of April but that will be ok, as long as guineas are still available in April. Thank you everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by