1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Order less than 25 from hatchery?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jmeeter88, Sep 11, 2008.

1. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    Here's my dilemma: I bought 4 chicks from a local woman, 3 of 4 ended up being roosters (at least I'm 85% sure). I would love to order from say McMurray but their order minimum is 25! As much as I would love to have 25 chickens, I just can't right now!

Are there any hatcheries that will allow orders of less than say 10 chickens?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    If you go to www.mypetchicken.com you can order as few as 3 chicks if you live in a major city. I've never personally ordered from them, so I don't know how good they are, but I've been thinking about it. Let me know if you try it out!

3. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Meyer allows as little as 3 chicks and Ideal only has a minimum order of $25, no specific number.

4. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    Wow mypetchicken.com has some awesome prices... I wish someone from here had bought from them before!

5. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    the only thing i didn't like about mypetchicken was the heafty small-order fees - otherwise they do have good prices and good feedback.

6. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I'm going to try it one of these days, but right now I have too many chicks as it is!

7. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    I bought from My Pet Chicken. I got 3 chicks and the total cost for them was $44.93. They arrived healthy and none died, they are 4 months old now.

8. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Ideal Poultry

http://www.ideal-poultry.com/

Ordering Policy and Special Services

MINIMUM ORDER: The minimum dollar value for an order is $25.00 in poultry, excluding male only chick orders.

There is no minimum number of chicks you can order as long as your total order of poultry is $25.00, not including shipping and handling.

9. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:When I was trying to place my order with Ideal, it said minimum order $20. I don't know but maybe they reduced it a little because of the time of the year it is?

10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I've ordered from Ideal and My Pet chicken
    The MPC chicks were bigger than the ones from Ideal but all arrived on time, alive and did well.
    I ordered about 10-13 from each, and I found both places well priced and shipping was not much more than the 25 to FL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by