1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Order my first chicks ever! Need supply shopping list!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mulemom, May 8, 2007.

1. Mulemom

Mulemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    Hi all!
    I have my first 25 chicks coming on June 4th! They are supposed to be all girls! We are in the process of converting our 8x10 shed into a coop. I think we will keep them in our spare room for the first few weeks. I was going to use one of those big plastic bins for a brooder. I know I need a light and feeder and water container. What else do I need right away?

They are coming from McMurry and are vaccinated for Marek's Disease and Coccidiosis. I seem to remember something about not feeding them medicated feed if they were vaccinated, but now I can't find where I read that. Do I need worry about mites and things when they are chicks? Is it safe to use pesticides on them when they're that young?

Help! My chicks are on the way and I want to be a good chichen mom!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, dont give them medicated feed. As for pests, don't worry about it when they are chicks. Check them periodically when they grow up and are outside, but even then, I only treat if I can find bugs. I avoid things that kill things. Good luck!

3. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    I don't use pesticides on anything.

When the chicks are about a week old, give them a container of play sand big enough to dust bathe in- if you add food grade diatomaceous earth to the play sand, it will act as a light (and harmless) preventative for mites and such.

4. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
  5. janramsey

janramsey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2007
    Vilonia, Arkansas
    Quote:[b]OK math time.....How much do I add to the sand.....say how much per pound??? yes.....it may require crayons to help me!!![​IMG]

6. freshH20

freshH20 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2007
    You could actually just make a small well (2' x 2' x 4" deep) in the sand and put 2 - 3 lbs in it. They will eat some and mix up the rest. They can take a dust bath in straight DE and it won't hurt them a bit. But be sure to use food-grade, organic, pure diatomaceous earth.
    Also, if you mix it with their feed at a rate of 2%, many have found that it keeps them healthy, harder shells, and eliminates odors, and flies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by