1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Order your meat chickens now

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by AussieSharon, Feb 26, 2009.

1. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I've noticed that hatheries are selling out very fast for many types of poultry.

2 weeks ago I called Moyer's in PA to inquire about their meat chickens. The lady told me they ship every Wednesday and just give a weeks notice. Yesterday when I called they were sold out until the end of March! Their brown egg layers are sold out until Mid April. She said that it's gone crazy with orders and they have never seen anything like it.

I called Ideal Poultry wanting something else and was told April - May. My local feedstore that sells chickens sold ove 200 chickens last week, wiping them out. The owner said she'd never seen anything like it either and the people buying them were mostly buying for meat. ( they were laying hens )

My advice is place your order now or you may find yourself waiting longer than you'd planned.

2. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    noticed that tuesday Ideal had availability all but first week of march at 6am, by 10am march was sold out... [​IMG] everywhere I'm looking now is mid/late april... maybe its a sign i shouldn't try meat birds this year....

3. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

I was re-selling chicks from Welp hatchery, and they were RIR pullets and I was getting 3.25-3.75 ea! And I sold out on them all.

Looks like I am going to have to order some CRB's and sell them to people who want some meat chickens, lol.

4. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Quote:I did meat birds for the first time last year. We LOVED the better tasting chicken so much my kids beg for it. We're down to the last one in the freezer and I can't wait to get more chicks in. It's well worth it and if you get them in April you'll be done by the end of May.

5. Oceanseve

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    Quote:Range or feed? If feed - what kind? just curious, since you say better tasting I'm guessing yours were range, yeah? I'm looking over cost effectivness right now and finding we would probably break even or spend more...... [​IMG] Since we don't have space for range....

6. idealpoultry

idealpoultry Official BYC Community Sponsor

Sep 25, 2007
    Cameron, TX
    Yes, this year is something we have not seen before. We really thought last year was busier than it could be, but we were wrong.

If you want chicks this year especially some of the rare breeds, you need to get on the waiting list now or book your order now.

Thanks to all of you for supporting us.

Teri

Ideal Poultry

7. OcoeeG

OcoeeG Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2008
    Chattanooga
    BUY LOCAL!!! Sorry Ideal:(
    If you do not want to wait for your hatchery birds look on craigslist or post somehting on here about getting birds from a local or semi-local breeder. There has to be someone within an hour of you that has chicks for sale. It is usually cheaper anyway, and you are helping out the little guy.

8. OcoeeG

OcoeeG Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2008
    Chattanooga
    Oops, yeah I forgot I was posting in the meat bird forum. I guess those are a bit harder to get from a local small breeder. I retract my previous statement.

9. Oceanseve

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    [​IMG] at least you retracted

There is a hatchery maybe a mile or two down the street, they want 5+ for their day old chics of any type, can't find anyone else around here except those that order online anyway, so better to cut out the middle man, but thanks for the advice

10. steveo

steveo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Poland, Maine
    I am glad that I already ordered my 25 meat chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by