Ordered 25 colored range broilers from JM Hatchery

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by redoak, Mar 5, 2009.

1. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    We decided to take the plunge into the world of meat birds. We did some searching for who might have a good free ranging meat bird and found JM Hatchery in PA. So today we ordered 25 multi colored range broilers from them. We wanted to take advantage of our 5 acres and get a meat bird that would free range some. We also requested that our order not be shipped until June so we could supplement the meat birds diet with our vegetable garden. So far they have had great customer service. I emailed them a question and they called me back within 5 minutes. [​IMG]

2. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    JM Hatchery doea a great job. I raised 50 last year, and will be ordering more from him this year.

3. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Hi Redoak,

I also just ordered 25 from them. My chicks will be shipped on April 29th, exactly the middle of the time frame I requested. Yes, so far their customoer service has been excellent. [​IMG] I can't wait to get my chickies.

4. minifarmer

minifarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2008
    warren county, ohio
    I'm really liking these birds. JM people were great to work with! The chickens blew my cornish crosses away in terms of actual ranging and grass consumption. Keep a few of the hens if you like large,usually double yolked, eggs! (they lay early, prolifically, and dependably.) Eggs are great eating, not so good for hatching, due to double and triple yolks.
    They keep up with my regular layers and fly across the pasture...they just wobble a little more! karla

5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Thanks for all the comments, sounds like these are a great choice for free range meat birds.

6. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    For those who've already tried them...

How long did you grow them out? And what kind of finished weights did you get?

7. minifarmer

minifarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2008
    warren county, ohio
    I let them go 4 monthes (15 to 16 weeks, because I like them roaster size. ) My weights were 9-13 for the roosters and 6-8 for the hens, processed.. When they were 9 weeks old the roosters were about . 6-8# live weight, so figure a 4-5# carcass. Karla

8. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Quote:Thanks, very helpful!

Has anyone tried to keep any of them for breeding?

9. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    Usually with a broiler hybrid you loose the fast growth rate if you try and breed them. (they are specially crossed for every generation) I don't consider 15 weeks fast growth though so it might be worth a try with these.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by