Ordered 5 EEs, 3 have noticable beards... others dont :/

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by happyhens44, Apr 5, 2011.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    I ordered 5 EEs, 3 have chubby cheeks. 2 dont seem noticable, are they still easter eggers or possibly a mistake?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They're still Easter Eggers. Easter Eggers are mutts, so it doesn't matter if they have beards or not, green legs or yellow, or green eggs or blue, really - They can vary.

It is the Ameraucanas that NEED beards/muffs. [​IMG]

3. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Quote:Does that mean I have Ameraucanas? One is pure yellow with a big beard/muff

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    No.

Hatcheries do not sell Ameraucanas, they sell Easter Eggers and Easter Eggers only. Easter Eggers in most cases have beard/muffs like Ameraucanas, but that doesn't make them such. The pure yellow one is likely either a color similar to Red Pyle, or a White EE.

5. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    ok, thanks.

6. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    There is an EE thread on here. There are a bunch of pictures of EE's without beards.

7. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    My EE doesnt have a beard and she still lays pretty green eggs [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  8. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    It's possible there could have been a mistake, but more likely the two without beards are just clean-faced EEs. EEs are a type of chicken rather than a specific breed and have no breed standard. The majority of them have beards/muffs and green legs, but not all of them. I ordered 5 EE's last year, and one did not have the poofy cheeks that the others had (although she did have green legs from day one, while the others started off with pink legs and turned green over the course of about a week or two). She lays me a lovely large light green egg almost every day.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by