Ordered a Bator !!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rocky4052, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Rocky4052

Rocky4052 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    Southeastern Ma.
    I decided to try hatching my own-- ordered a Hova-Bator 2400 Hatching Package yesterday. It was on sale @ Home and Barn Basics for 105.99--seemed like a good price, and includes an auto-turner. Found a link on this forum to it.
    Can't wait to get started! Have been reading posts on hatching and am getting excited. Have any tips for a first-timer ? Is this model a good bator? Should I get anything else? ( I am going to make my own candle light)
    I presently have 20 hens and 2 roosters (white Leghorns) that I got from McMurrary. They are 1 1/2 yrs. old now, and have been great layers. I was told that I should after 2 1/2 yrs. they don't lay as well and I should have new stock. Any tips would be really appreciated!!!

2. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Congratulations!!!! You're now an addict. It won't be long and you'll be like the rest of us. Unable to put the bator away and will have fuzzy butts EVERYWHERE!!!!

I bought my Genesis 1588 with egg turner at Home & Barn Basics too. Great service and it got here fast. I have used it several times and have eggs in there now too!

3. Rocky4052

Mar 16, 2007
    Southeastern Ma.
    Yes the company is fast--I ordered it late aftrenoon on the 17th, and it was shipped on the 18th! I just realized that I'll have to get a digital thermometer- should be able to get one locally.

I really like this site--I don't post that much, but I sure find tons of info!! Of course now I'm sure my post count will be going way up.

Can't wait for those "little fuzzy butts" to arrive!!

4. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    I got the Acurrite thermometer and hygrometer at Wal-Mart for mine. The hygrometer part is WAY off so I need to get a new one. I did calibrate it and it must just be messed up.

Anyway, the thermometer seems very good though. So I'll keep it for that.

You see my count, I just joined in August. But maybe I'm just a big mouth. Haha I do love my chickies!

5. Rocky4052

Mar 16, 2007
    Southeastern Ma.
    Actually just ordered the digital thermometer from Home and Barn. Brinsea Spot Check- claims to be accurate. I have a humidity reader already. (hygrometer?)

How do you find time to run your business with all those posts? Your keyboard must be worn out by now.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:That is a great thermometer. You will love it.

Good luck on your hatches.

7. Rocky4052

Mar 16, 2007
    Southeastern Ma.
    Good--Glad I picked a winner. Can't wait to get started! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by