Ordered Chicks! Assortment Surprise!

Acre4Me

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
Went ahead and ordered some baby chicks. We've been having a hard time deciding exactly what to get - so many breeds with great characteristics. Since we live in OH and Meyer hatchery offers various assortments, we went with them. Ship time should be short, or we could choose to drive the 2.5 hours each way to pick them up (but not sure we could do that the day they hatch or the next day). Here is what we ordered:

15 of the Rainbow Pullet Assortment described as:
"Day old baby chicks can range from our heavy brown egg layers, white egg layers, tinted egg layers, rare and fancy breeds, or any combination of female chickens that we offer. We will make every effort to include as many different colors and varieties of chickens as possible, but guarantee a minimum of five (5) different varieties. Different colors of the same breed will be counted as separate varieties."

2 of the Rare Marans females. Described as:
"Meyer Hatchery’s Rare Marans Chicken Collection can include at least three (3) different varieties of the following rare Marans: Black Copper Marans, Blue Splash Marans, Golden Cuckoo Marans, Blue Copper Marans and White Marans. While Black Copper Marans may lay a dark chocolate brown egg, the others are typically various lighter shades."

3 Males and 5 Females from the Assorted Rare Breeds Collection. Described as:
"Spice up your flock with Meyer Hatchery’s Assorted Rare Breed Chickens. You will receive at least five (5) different breeds of our rare egg layer day old chicks at a fraction of the cost. Possible breeds include: Ancona, Easter Egger, Andalusian, Wyandotte, Dark Cornish, Delaware, Dominique, Jersey Giant, Brahma, Partridge Rock, Light Brown Leghorn, Hamburg, Sussex, German Spitzhauben Appenzeller, Buckeye, Sumatra, Cochin, Polish, Marans, Campine, Lakenvelder, Faverolles, Buttercup, Welsummer, Exchequer Leghorn, Sultan, Ameraucana, Blue and Lavender Orpington, and others as they are added to our rare breed offerings. Different colors of the same breed will be counted as separate varieties."

1 Meal Maker. This is a free chick described as:
"Meyer Meal Maker is a FREE day old baby chick from Meyer Hatchery. Raise the chick to laying or butchering age and simply donate the eggs or meat produced from that chicken to a local family or charity. Whether you order 3 layers or 300, you can request a Meyer Meal Maker on every chick order you place. Same goes for meat birds! This is just one simple way you and your family can get involved and make a difference in your community."

So, 26 chicks in all and hopefully a big variety. We ordered 3 males since sometimes chicks die, but if all survive, then this is possibly 6-7 females per rooster OR it gives us the opportunity to pick the favorite rooster to keep. We will receive them soon, as we wanted at least some of them to be laying by the time we have some relatives visiting in September. We have no idea what we will receive, so the surprise will be fun. If this proves to be too many, we could re-home some, or take them to the auction. We have enough space for them, but are going to need to work on a coop. We do have an outbuilding with electric, so if coop takes a little longer to build, they will have a safe and draft-free place to live.

I would schedule the order so that you can schedule time to make that drive.

So much easier on the chicks if they don't have to go by mail.

Remember that mail still goes in trucks, to sorting centers, in more trucks, maybe another sorting location then on more trucks.

I have heard of peoples chicks going from one place, right past the destination to another place 2 states away before coming back.

I would definitely make the time to make the drive.

Remember that mail still goes in trucks, to sorting centers, in more trucks, maybe another sorting location then on more trucks.

I have heard of peoples chicks going from one place, right past the destination to another place 2 states away before coming back.

I did call Meyers and I have until the Friday before ship date (hatch date) to tell them if I'll be picking them up. They indicated I could try to ask the USPS as to the routing of packages from one zip to another to see the path it would most likely take, so I'll ask and see if I can find out any other information.

I agree about driving to get them, if at all possible.
Your 'mystery mix' should be a lot of fun!
Mary

UPDATE! It is true that driving to pick up the chicks would have been the best choice....However, I was unable to devote 6+ hours to the round trip to pick them up, so I allowed them to be shipped. The hatchery is in OH, and I'm in OH (and was getting shipped directly to my Post Office), so I figured that out of 26 chicks I would receive live chicks, along with possibly 1-2 dead chicks. In addition, I spoke with the Postal employees at the receiving location and they indicate they receive chicks all the time (although the most in the spring) and this is common. So I felt OK about the shipping process.

Chicks shipped Monday. They left the Polk location and arrived (as expected) at Cleveland distribution center. They left the distribution center at 11pm Monday night. We received them THIS MORNING (WED).....they spent 31 HOURS in transit from Cleveland!!!!! Every Single Chick was DOA. I had my 11 yo with me at the PO (we did discuss the possibility of a few dead chicks ahead of time) and 11yo is sad/angry/disappointed with the box-full of dead chicks. We had gone to the back door of the PO to get them since it was really early, and the Postal employee warned me that they didn't notice movement or sounds from the box...and I opened the box right then. We saw the dead chicks, and we did not accept the shipment. Obviously I called Meyer and they will issue a refund. Meyer customer service was helpful and indicated surprise that we did not receive them on Tuesday as OH shipments often arrive the next day. Later, I did have to return to the PO as Meyer will not refund the cost of the electrolytes or gro-gel I had purchased and these were inside the box of dead chicks (and I hadn't thought to retrieve them at the time). The nice postal employee donned gloves and fished out the electrolytes for me (along with the 2 heater packs included with the chicks). We will still purchase chicks in the future, but will do so when we can physically go and pick them up.

Here is a picture of the chicks - it appears that there was a variety of chicks in the box, and it would have been a fun few weeks seeing them grow and feather out before putting them outside.
Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 10.48.05 AM.png

I'm so sorry! That's awful! Weather is not good for shipping chicks in January, and the delay was the last straw.
Don't let this be the end; place an order for delivery in April instead. I've had great success with Cackle, and also Murray McMurray.
Out one Meyers order, in late spring, had 10% deaths. We were not happy; never have had such poor results here. Nothing like your story, though.
Again, this is very very sad.
Mary

I'm so sorry! That's awful! Weather is not good for shipping chicks in January, and the delay was the last straw.
Don't let this be the end; place an order for delivery in April instead. I've had great success with Cackle, and also Murray McMurray.
Out one Meyers order, in late spring, had 10% deaths. We were not happy; never have had such poor results here. Nothing like your story, though.
Again, this is very very sad.
Mary

Thanks Mary. We will re-order, but it will be when we can pick up in person since my 11yo doesn't need to experience this again in the near future. In looking at the picture and comparing what I can see of the chick fluff and color combos to the Meyer Chick identification guide, it looks like we received a really nice assortment, so that makes it even more disappointing. We went to our PO to ask (ahead of time) what the route and timing is for a chick ship from Polk zip to our zip. Unfortunately, the person I spoke with at that time indicated that they have "no idea" what route would be taken and there "was no way to determine that." Interestingly, I'm pretty sure the PO does, in fact, know this since everything likely travels a pre-determined route. Irregardless, we may have just experienced the one-off experience of one or more people not doing what should have been done like getting it onto an earlier truck, or not leaving it outside exposed to the wind or cold while waiting for next truck, or not transferring it at some point along the way. Who knows, but my guess is that something got messed up. Once we get our first chicks and raise them for awhile, we will be more willing to try getting chicks in the mail once again.

That is so tragically sad. :hugs

Your poor kiddo. :hugs

Thanks Folly. 11yo was pretty disappointed, etc. She's better today and we've been discussing chicken breeds, names for chickens, etc - always a mood booster. Now we just need to figure out the best way and time to get some chicks in person to begin our little home flock.

Oh, my! I ordered from them. They are supposed to be shipped the 30th I ordered the following...

Meyer Meal Maker 1
BUOF Buff Orpington Female
AMBS Leann's "Adopt Me" Bargain St. Run
AWEF White Egg Layer Assortment Female
APRF All Pullet Rainbow Pack Female

I have heard nothing but good news from them so I went ahead and ordered. Now, I am a bit worried.

I am so sorry this has happened to you! I have ordered online from TS and Ideal and never had but maybe one extra to die....I hope you will have better experiences from now on.

Back
Top Bottom