Ordered Chicks from MyPetChicken.com

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickonInc, Feb 1, 2015.

1. ChickonInc

ChickonInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2014
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I ordered a lot of day old chicks. It says they will come on May 18th? They hatch on Feb. 9 So why would they ship them on May 18th.

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    I don't have an answer for that unless you ordered started chicks? I would definitely ask MyPetChicken for an answer!
    Best,
    Karen

3. ChickonInc

Nov 29, 2014
    Virginia
    My Coop
    They are not open right now. They are started.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I don't believe MPC sells started birds - at least I don't see them listed, only day-olds. While they may be hatching on the 19th for the breeds you ordered, MPC may not have the availability to fulfill YOUR order until May - many breeds sell out well in advance.

5. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    I agree with the above post. Probably just sold out until the date you were told.

6. ChickonInc

Nov 29, 2014
    Virginia
    My Coop
    It says they hatch on Feb 9

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Did they send you an email saying your birds were hatching on the 9th or is that what it says on the availability chart?
    If they sent you an email, then you should probably start getting ready for some fluffies. If you're going by what the chart says, don't expect them until May. The chart simply states when specific breeds become available and you should pretty much always assume that someone else has first dibs on them.
    I've never ordered from MPC, but I've gotten chicks from several other hatcheries. I have never unexpectedly received chicks. If they want to move my ship date up, they've always called and made sure its okay first.

8. ChickonInc

Nov 29, 2014
    Virginia
    My Coop
    It says Hatch dates between Feb 9, 2015 and Mar 30, 2015 have a 15-chick minimum, and will be shipped Express Mail. Mine was = Feb 9on all 3 breeds I bought. So hatching is in 7 days.

9. ChickonInc

Nov 29, 2014
    Virginia
    My Coop
    All the chicks are 50+ availability, mostly since it's winter not many people are buying them.

10. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    The hatch date on the site is not the hatch date for your chicks. I don't know, but that is probably just the next hatch date. If they said yours will ship on May 18, then they will probably ship between the 17th and 20th, and they will be 1-3 days old, depending on how long their hatch takes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by