Ordered chicks.....now what?

Jacq'sChicks

Hatching
11 Years
May 5, 2008
Milledgeville, GA
I have done some reading, so I know about food, water, & the heat lamp. I ordered 8 chicks and want to know what housing arrangments have worked out for others? Can you use a large cardboard box and change the shavings daily? I have a cat but he is mainly outside but comes in at night sometimes. Whatever I use, it needs to keep him out. Any suggestions and idea's will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to BYC. At the top of the Raising Baby Chicks category there is a "sticky" where lots of folks have posted pics of their brooders, everything from cardboard boxes to plastic totes. I'm sure you'll get some ideas there.
I had to have a much larger set-up because I have 21 chicks, but I don't have a indoor cat to worry about.

I used a 96 QT plastic tote from Wal-Mart and made a chicken wire top for it...

HPIM2422Small.jpg

I kept 6 girls in there until they were about 4 weeks old...then I moved them into my hot tub frame.
lol.png

Last edited:
Hi and Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Here's the link for the Brooder ideas that gritstar mentioned:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6233

You need to make sure that whatever you decide to use as a brooder has a cover on it that the cat or dog can't get into and get to the chicks.

It's a good idea to have atleast an extra feeder, waterer and spare heat lamps/bulbs also incase you need to seperate any chicks due to illness or weakness. Several spare heat bulbs are good to always have on hand because they always tend to blow at times when the feed stores are closed.

After that, plan on having the coop and run ready because they'll outgrow whatever you use as a brooder before you are ready.
wink.png
Check out the Coop Designs pages for some great ideas.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

Thanks everyone for responding. I am going to try and find the biggest clear container that I can to hold them in for the first weeks.

Dawn419- Thanks for the link, extra bulb, great suggestion.

Gritsar Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Cetawin- Pictures say a 1000 words.

Back
Top Bottom