Ordered chics from TSC -I got mutts, Any advice on what to do now?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by m_herrington, Jun 6, 2008.

1. m_herrington

m_herrington Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    ohio
    This is my first experience with peeps. I ordered chics through TSC about a month ago and my chics arrived today. I know that TSC sent their orders through MT Healthy Hatchery.

I ordered RIR, NHR and Americaunas. The chics I have look like they are more like crosses. The americaunas look like I think they are suppsed to, but the RI and NH look like they are crossed with the Americaunas. Some of them have black stripes, black strips by their eyes and are somewhat mottled looking.

Can I make a complaint to the hatchery? or should I not do that? Will it do any good?

I mean, I spent a lot of time trying to decide which chics to get and reading all about them and now what I have is nothing like what I was supposed to have.... I was hoping to hatch some chics eventually and I don't really want a bunch more mutts...

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    do you have pics to post? Maybe those of us that got from tsc could compare. I got RIR and Americauna but I got them instore.

3. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    sounds like you got all ee's. did the tsc people sort the birds or were they already boxed? also, some suppliers have a little check box when you order that says something like "Substituions allowed?" if you don't say "No" you could end up with anything.

another thing you could try is checking out craigslist and see if anybody is interested in a trade.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I would call them for sure.....

This is my NHR at 1 day old....top left of pic

[​IMG]

This litle brown striped one to the right of her is my Ameraucana.

here she is at 3 weeks old...top left

[​IMG]

Hope that helps you when you look at yours. [​IMG] Remember the NHR is a cross from a RIR so they look similar. [​IMG]

Mutts are not a bad thing. But I would call the TSC and complain and se what they can do for you.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  5. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    When I ordered RIR mine came in with some similar traits as you described. They weren't BLACK striped but had stripes and a dash of black off the eye.

Wait it out, they may be fine.

Unless you planned on showing these birds, I really wouldn't worry. They will lay eggs just the same.
    On another note, unless you kept the breeds seperated, you would probably end up with mutts when they started breeding anyway.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  6. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Quote:same here, i got RIR and Americauna and they look like that except my americaunas are more speckled since they feathered

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by