Ordered colored zip ties

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bobbieschicks, Oct 27, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I was putting permanent marker on our five little look a like orpingtons. But today we found a flaw in that plan. The brown marker and purple marker look too similar once they start to fade. So we've decided to switch to zip ties going forward. Any advice on using those?

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Check them often to make sure they stay loose enough as they grow. Other than that, they work great!

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    How about some food color on the tails?

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree on the zip ties but watch closely as the chicks grow so fast. My DH wants me to put a dab of food coloring on top of there little fuzzy heads as they will loose the fuz when the feathers come in.

5. riane'smimi

riane'smimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    Please keep an eye on them! I bought a silkie this spring that had one of those hard plastic ties on one of her legs.You couldn't see it at all and I would never had known it was there but one day I was petting her and felt something hard poking out of her skin.We did get it cut out and it must had been there since it was a small chick as it was to the bone [​IMG]
    She is fine now but it was nasty

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    If I had to order them I'd get proper poultry leg bands.

I use colored zip ties myself, but that's because I needed them right now and I could get them from the store in town. You do have to check them occasionally if it's a growing bird to make sure it's not too tight, but at the same time you can't put them on very loose either because they can and do sometimes come off that way.

7. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I will keep an eye on how loose they are and probably change them weekly because they are now two weeks old and growing fast

8. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Quote:good plan

9. Yonaton

Yonaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    West TN
    Why not just buy the correct kind of leg bands? What if something happens and you can't be there for a week or more? Can you be *absolutely, 100% positive* that someone will remember to check on the zip-ties so they don't grow into the legs? Like that other person who had to cut one out. Who knows what happened there that the first owner didn't keep a close eye on it and see what happened? Better to simply use the correct tool for the job and not have to fret over it. Yeah, they may be a little more expensive but they're reusable and they work *correctly* and they're *safe*.

10. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:okay I'm interested - do you know a source for the leg bands? Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by