Ordered from McMurray, recieved injured chicks from Claborn family farms...

btegu

In the Brooder
Feb 20, 2020
So I ordered 2x 4-6 week whiting true blues and a Pullorum Certificate from McMurray. At pick up today they had a McMurray box but not for me- my chicks were in an unbranded box with Claborn family farms address. Inside were 2 chicks which appear to be the correct breed but both are bald at the base of the tail with one bloodied there and an apparent abcess and covered in blu-coat. Also no certificate. The tracking number matched mine.
Chicks are active but not yet eating or drinking 3 hours later.

Whats the typical remedy for injured chicks, extended warranty? I've not contacted hatchery yet but will need to for the cert. at least.

Seem to be acting normal and both eating. Have not caught them drinking yet Cleaned up and spray veteracin. The black one's spot dried up but the white one looks weepy plus has the abcess looking spot.
20210512_213027.jpg
20210512_213053.jpg
20210512_213113.jpg
20210512_213701.jpg

The chicks are lucky that they have someone who cares. I hope they recover nicely.
That last picture, the light colored one's pose makes me want to pick her up and hug her. Lol.
I hope you get the situation resolved. I'm sure McMurray will be interested in hearing you out and making things right.

Called McMurray, they confirmed hatchlings come from them and older birds from suppliers. E-mailed me the cert. Didn't seem to care about injuries. Stated guaranteed live and for 48 hours, but would note I called about injury and call back if it dies.

Called McMurray, they confirmed hatchlings come from them and older birds from suppliers. E-mailed me the cert. Didn't seem to care about injuries. Stated guaranteed live and for 48 hours, but would note I called about injury and call back if it dies.
Wow, that response is surprising and unacceptable, if you ask me. I would call them back and expect at least some kind of refund for having to treat these injured birds which were obviously injured when they were stuck in the box because the blue coat was already on them.
I agree the birds are lucky they have you and hopefully they will recover well.😊

I'd ask the hatchery first, mcmurray is a good hatchery. it's like that started pullet are raised somewhere else and if there's a problem, they'd like to hear about it.

Back
Top Bottom