Ordered More chicks today

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mike32, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Mike32

Mike32 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    Pecos, NM
    I ordered the 25 pullet special from MPC and received them last week but now I want more. So today I ordered another batch. My question is, when I get the new chicks can I put them in the same brooder as the others I already have? What do I need to watch for?

2. catfish/okie

catfish/okie Chillin' With My Peeps

I would be afraid to puy new chicks with some more than a week old. If the older ones is more than two weeks old I wouldnt dare. (just my thinkin)

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    By the time you receive your second batch, the first will be two weeks old or more, yes? By then they will be starting to feather out and will need to be at a lower temp than the newly hatched chicks. For that reason, AND that the big ones might pick on the smaller chicks, AND that depending on the size of your brooder, space might be an issue - you don't want them overcrowded - I would recommend separate brooders.

4. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Quote:i agree completely. usually 1 week is the maximum that chicks can differ in age. to have 50 chicks in one brooder, that brooder would have to be awfully large...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by