Ordered my first chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Flyboy718, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Flyboy718

Flyboy718 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    We are new to this and we just ordered our first chicks...(8) Barred Plymouth Rock's!!! Actually they will be my 4 year olds chicks and she will take care of them from chicks to chickens, gather the eggs and sell some eggs in the neigboorhood that way she can learn responsibility and earning money/business practices. I think it will be great for her...

2. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    [​IMG] That is wonderful. She is going to love them.

3. Flyboy718

Jul 27, 2011
    What brand/type of chick food do I need to feed them and for how long?

4. ozark_chickies

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    I use Powells medicated chick starter. Don't know if they sell it in your area, but you can ask at your local feed store. I have also used what TSC sells, but it is higher in price. My babies start getting grit and offered chops and other foods,mixed heavy with the starter at four or five weeks. I'm about to switch my 4 month olds to layer pellets instead of chick starter. My older birds free range, so they choose a lot of thier own diets.Hope this helps.

5. Flyboy718

Jul 27, 2011
    I am going to go to Tractor Supply today and purchase some chick starter from there...so what kind should I get? Why do you need medicated or do I need medicated?

6. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Sounds like a great idea as long as you realize that ultimately, the chicks are your responsibility. In my experience, even the most mature 4-year-old won't get the idea of feeding, watering, cage-cleaning, checking temperature and so on and so on 3 or 4 or 5 time every YES EVERY day for weeks and then several times a day for years. Also, a 4-year-old might over handle chicks during their first few days and that can create problems too.

My daughter saved up all her money for over a year, starting with her birthday money when she turned eight and when she had enough, she purchased a puppy. Now she's a great kid, good grades, generally good attitude, but although she considers the dog hers, the dog considers itself mine because I'm the one who most often feeds her and walks her. My daughter is quicker to take the initiative to walk her or bathe her than her brothers do, but 7 years later it is still usually up to me to remind her.

Good luck and post pictures. If there is anything cuter than baby chicks it's little children with baby chicks!

7. Flyboy718

Jul 27, 2011
    Quote:Well of course it will be ultimately my responsibility...I'm not going to just let a four year old take care of those chicks all on her own.

8. ozark_chickies

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Quote:Sorry, I can't remember the TSC brand, but they didn't have much to pick from. One of thier employees should be able to help. We use medicated as a precaution, very old homestead, and who knows what is in the soil? You may or may not need it, but it will not hurt them to get it.

9. Roccomanchickens

Roccomanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Carroll, IA
    How exciting! You are in for a wonderful adventure. I buy my chicken feed from a local feed store. I like to try to keep as much business in my small town as possible. If you have a farm supply store that is locally owned they are usually more knowledgable about the preferences of other chicken owners, the qualities of certain feeds (I found that Layena brand made their poop an undesirable color, for me anyway) other considerations are whether you want to feed the chickens chicken meal or vegetable proteins. Different ideas about that, but chicken by-products have to go somewhere [​IMG]

There's many different ideas and opinions on everything about chickens, you've come to the right place to research them. Good luck!

10. Flyboy718

Jul 27, 2011
    I ordered 8 chicks, I talked to the hatchery (Ideal Hatchery) and they said they are going to put about 4-5 run of the mill male chicks in there for warmth and stability at no extra cost, or I could purchase insurance for 1.75 and have only the 8 chicks that I ordered sent....what do you guys usally do? more than 8 chicks will be too much for me in my small city backyard and they are males at that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by