Ordered my spring goslings! WOOT! or should I say "HONK!"

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Dusky Beauty, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Upshur County, Texas
    Just after I saw word that Holderread is discontinuing poms, I got a nice little announcement in my email that Ideal was running a hatch special on mystery geese hatching on Wednesday.

I decided to play the odds and ordered 10 straight run hatch choice, I like all the breeds they are hatching right now, and this gives me a month or two head start. It's already spring down here in Phoenix, and hey, maybe I'll get some pomeranians!

Possibilities include africans, brown chinese, white chinese, saddleback poms, toulouse, tufted roman, and of course embdens.

I'm still very happy with my khaki campbells quality from last year, so I'm very excited.

2. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

How exiciting!! I have some geese coming from them at the end of February a Pomeranian and an African! Good thing I already ordered or I might have been tempted to order twice as many at that price [​IMG] Here's hoping you get some Pomeranians with your order [​IMG]

3. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    I can imagine that you're very excited at the propoect of your new babies arriving. I look forward to hearing about what you get [​IMG]

4. 1MrsMagoo

1MrsMagoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    I'm very excited for you: Their is nothing better than receiving a box full of goslings! Hope they arrive safe and sound and full of the breeds you really....really wanted.[​IMG]

5. I keep trying to think of reasons to order more goslings . . . I already have 9 grown geese, but I miss the goslings. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that at least one pair will lay this year, although they are young for it. My husband won't go for more ordered geese, but if the geese have babies themselves what am I to do?!

So I'm glad that you got to order more . . . They are so sweet! If I could, I'd have at least 3 breeds . . . I can never decide which is my favorite.

6. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Honk for you! [​IMG]

7. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    I saw this thread and read about Ideal's weekly special and of course had to order some myself! They came today!!! They are so cute. They are all yellow with orange beaks and feet. One has a brown dot on its head. Wonder what kind they are?

8. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Upshur County, Texas
    Mine came this morning too!
    [​IMG]

Now I guess I know why so many of my campbells died last time I ordered from Ideal, they were sitting around somewhere for an extra day!

The little black one in the top left is a cayuga duckling, those two with the gray markings are the only colored goslings I received, and I'm not sure what they are yet. The rest are all yellow, and I don't see any tufts. Judging by bill shapes (some are like a scoop like you see on the center gray, and other are more tapered) I think I got some embdens and some chinese in the mix. There's also some big size differences between several of the yellow ducklings, one is almost as small as the ducks.
    I was a little worried about the two ducklings traveling with the goslings, but they are pretty feisty. Whenever the goslings step on them they grab ahold of the fuzz on the gosling's face and give them a good shake.

Have not sexed them yet! I will try as soon as I can mark them.

9. thasista

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    They are so cute! I have been scouring gosling images trying to see what's what. I think I have 2 that may be white chinese. I have one that after closer inspection has some very light darker coloring on the back and head. 2 with higher foreheads.

10. thasista

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are terrible pictures because they are taken with a cell phone, but I think this last one is a Tufted Roman. Also, Looking at beak structure, I think I have possibly Toulouse and White Chinese. I guess we will see. If anyone knows better please educate me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by