Ordered my Whizbang parts

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by A.T. Hagan, Aug 11, 2011.

1. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I've have been dithering over whether to order the parts to build my own Whizbang for months now. But thanks to the recent economic gloom and forecasts for still more to come I decided it was time to get with it! No more taking surplus roosters to the swaps. We'll save more money by eating them ourselves than by selling them at the swaps for less than what I spent to feed them. Time to get more serious with this breeding project!

2. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    [​IMG] I too have been tossing this around for two years. My roos are done this year already but maybe next year.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    As long as it takes me to complete projects like this I expect it'll be finished about the time next year's birds go into the growout pens. I've stopped trying to come up with timelines for how long it'll take me to get things done. The universe seems to take it as a challenge to prove me wrong!

Ten minutes after I placed the order I received an e-mail from Mr. Kimball stating the parts would ship out tomorrow. Fast service!

4. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    I have a very good gear box that I will sell.I used one just like it on my plucker and it is much better and cheaper that the parts that are call for in the book. It works great. I also used 1/2" plastic for the round base. Much better and easyier to drill for the fingers. I can send pictures if you would want. I also have about 12 xtra fingers for sale. The plucker works like a charm.

5. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    You won't be disappointed. Mine has worked great on over a 1000 birds and counting. Don't feel bad about not getting projects done on a timeline. Hopefully you won't be like me and be finishing it up the day before your first butcher. Of course I do work better under the gun, at least that's what I tell my DW. I'm not a procrastinator, I'm just really busy (that's my other go to line). LOL

6. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    A.T. with roosters as big as the one in your avatar, I want to know what size plucker are you going to build.

7. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    ghulst,

i'm about a half hour south of you [​IMG]

i'd love to see pic's, if you're willing [​IMG]

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I hear ya on the "not selling them for less than they cost".

I won't do it. If I've put that money and time into them, my family is going to eat them instead of giving them away.

So many people give birds away that the public seems to think that they shouldn't be expected to pay. Never mind that a free broken down 3 year old burnt-out laying hen or a 2 year old rooster is not the same as a well raised bird the proper weight and age to go onto the table. The public apparently can't understand that there is a difference. They think they all should be free.

I'll feed them to my dogs before I'll give them away.

9. ngamtnman

ngamtnman Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    North GA
    I completed my Whiz bang about three weeks ago and will be trying it out on some New Hampshire Reds, Black Jersey Giants and Barred Rocks in about a month and then Cornish X a month later. It's actually really simple to build, just a little time consuming.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  10. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Quote:I keep telling myself those things as well. Sometimes I even believe them!
    Quote:Ah, well, those birds present particular problems in the processing department...

Got an e-mall from UPS this morning with my tracking number for the parts shipment. Can't beat that for quick service!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by