Ordered new chicks!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Brea, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Brea

Brea Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2014
    I just ordered pur new chicks. They will arrive in February.

Currently we have 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Australorps, 1 Easter Egger, and 1 Gold Sex Link. We lost our other Easter Egger to a dog and our other Gold Sex Link died of unknown causes. All hens.

We just ordered 17 new pullets. All new breeds to us. We got 1 Blue Ameraucana, 2 Lavender Orpingtons, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Partridge Rocks, 2 Egyptian Fayoumis, 2 White Leghorns, 2 Speckled Sussex, 2 Golden Laced Wyandotte, and 2 Delawares.

I am really excited to see what these different breeds will have to offer us. Any helpful info I should know about these breeds. Share pictures if you have any of them please! :)

2. RavensRansom

RavensRansom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2014
    Kent, WA
    [​IMG] Where did you order them? I'd like to be able to buy exactly the number of any breed I want.

3. Brea

Brea Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2014
    https://www.meyerhatchery.com

You just have to see when the breeds are available. We really wanted Blue Andalusian and a type of Maran but there were none available for the ship date we chose so we went with other breeds instead. I am most excited for the Lavender Orpington, Speckled Sussex, and the Golden Laced Wyandotte. 8 of the chickens will belong to our roommate and 9 plus our previous 6 will belong to us :)

4. RavensRansom

Sep 24, 2014
    Kent, WA
    Thanks! Off to see what they have for me.

5. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Of the new breeds you are getting we have 3 Speckled Sussex in our mixed flock. They are almost 8 months old now and beautiful. Here's a picture of one of them (sorry about the photo quality, figuring out a new camera) :
    [​IMG]
    We can tell each of the 3 apart because their markings are somewhat different. The picture is of Sandy, she has the most white on her face. Dia has brown along both sides of her comb and Robin is the smallest.

They have very sweet natures and are pretty consistent layers of medium-large creamy tan eggs. Their feathering has some iridescence so when the sun catches it just right, we can see flecks of beetle green. Ours are at the low end of the pecking order so that may be why ours are kind of shy around everyone (other hens and people alike). They have the prettiest white legs and love to run around when out in the yard. The least little bit of wind will get them to flying about 3' above the ground. One thing that surprised me about the SS was their voices...here you have a pretty little bird and it has a deep, croaky voice, lol.

I hope you enjoy your birds as much as we have!

6. RavensRansom

Sep 24, 2014
    Kent, WA
    I can see just by my wish basket that chicken math is going to be an affliction in my life.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Yep, it gets almost all of us...it's very contagious!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by