Ordered pills for tapeworm, turns out they are capsules! How to?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katelk, Dec 4, 2014.

1. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    I ordered some pills to give my chickens to get rid of tapeworms. The dosage would be half a pill for my smaller ladies and one pill for my big guys.

Turns out this pill is actually a capsule!

So it has a casing that can be opened and powder inside.

How on earth should I administer this to everyone with the proper dosage?

I paid $40 for this medicine so I don't want to have to buy something else.

Any ideas?

2. katelk

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    Ok well I opened the capsules and divided the powder as best I could, then mixed with a drop of oil and put it on bread. They each got their individual dose.

I am hoping Praziquantel is ok to do this with and a slight overdose will not harm anyone who may not have gotten it exactly right.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Darn them! Sorry, I should have seen that it said capsule, not tablet.

-Kathy

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How many small ones do you have? Praziquantil is very safe, so I think you will be fine.

-Kathy

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Praziquantel Info from Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. katelk

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN

I was hoping you would see this! Thanks for the vet handbook pages. Very helpful. I probably just need to track down a copy of that lol.
    According to the mg per kg I think I gave the proper dosages. If anything on my smallest ladies I might have under-dosed a tad :-/

I think the main thing I was concerned about was whether or not it was okay to give them the powder. Some people pills say do not crush and such, but I'm sure it'll be fine.
    I gave it to them by putting the proper dose of powder in a bowl, drizzling a bit of oil in, and wiping it all up with a piece of bread. I did it this morning and just took them out of the coop one by one so they would eat all of their own piece. No trouble at all since everyone was ready for breakfast.

I will repeat in 10 days.

I also ordered the Valbazen. Do you think I should do that right after the Praziquantel, or maybe wait a month or something to give them a break?

Thanks for all your help! I never would have figured it all out lol.

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    No need to worry about giving powder... The types of pills that should never be crushed are things like time release or extended release pills, that could be lethal! I think many people had overdosed on opiates doing that.

-Kathy

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Keep a camera handy, I'd love it if you could fine some poop pictures with tapes!

-Kathy

9. katelk

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN

Haha I will post if I find any. I have been anxiously checking poop waiting for it to happen :lol:

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by