Ordered silkie chicks!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PrestonSloan08, Jul 14, 2011.

1. PrestonSloan08

PrestonSloan08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Ok so I jus ordered three silkie chicks from Meyer hatchery! I was wondering if anyone else has ever done that? And how do they keep the chicks warm? I was wandering if they will be ok when they get here!?

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

First may I say, congrats, and enjoy them! [​IMG] I'm sure they will send them properly, and remember, it is quite warm this time of year. [​IMG]

3. PDurkin

PDurkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Country boy at heart
    You should be very pleased with your order! What color did you order?

4. PrestonSloan08

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    I ordered 1 red and 2 blue!!! They are supposed to be coming in by the end of this month!! I'm so excited!!! Silkies are so different looking( even though there feet kindof freak me out) [​IMG] I still really like them!! So do they have feathers or is it more like hair? Like can you pull them out like a normal feather!! I'm so confused!!

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Post some pics when you get the please... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. PDurkin

PDurkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Country boy at heart
    Quote:To your hands it feels like fur, my neighbors all think my chickens have fur! One of the little toddlers in my neighborhood call them "puppy chicks" because they got fur like a dog [​IMG] , but yes silkies actually have feathers and they do come out just like a normal feather would if you pulled it!

7. alaynalynn

alaynalynn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I just got 5 assorted colored silkies from Meyer almost 3 weeks ago. They arrived safe and healthy. Enjoy!!!

8. PrestonSloan08

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    AlL of them were alive!?!? That makes me feel better I was so scared they would all be dead!!! Do they look hood and healthy? And yess I will post pictures!!

9. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:To your hands it feels like fur, my neighbors all think my chickens have fur! One of the little toddlers in my neighborhood call them "puppy chicks" because they got fur like a dog [​IMG] , but yes silkies actually have feathers and they do come out just like a normal feather would if you pulled it!

I swear my cat thinks they are her kittens. She protects them from all the other cats in the neighborhood.

Your going to love your silkies, Congrats!

10. djennings

djennings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Sabine Pass, TX.
    I hatched these two blue silkies yesterday, I love them [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by