1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ordered Silkie Eggs ~ So Nervous!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CK Chickadilly, Oct 8, 2008.

1. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I did it! My 1st egg order! I ordered Silkies, blue, cuckoo, & splash! I am so nervous about the delivery & what will happen after that. I hope they all hatch. What are my chances? When do I candle? I have to get a humidity checker. I have never incubated before. I am so excited, I couldn't sleep last night! [​IMG]

Any advise? They should be here Fri/Sat :eek:

2. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I am so totally there with you! It seemed forever for the eggs to get there. Now I'm sitting here staring at all that potential, afraid I'll muck it up.

Good luck and think positive. As to the patience part, can't help you, I don't have any... What's sleep?

3. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Congratulations!!! Hope they hatch for you!

4. thegoogers

thegoogers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Cleveland, TN
    Ohhhh I am waiting on hatching eggs to arrive too!! I hope this Friday or Saturday [​IMG] We can keep each other company. I have never done it either!!

Not silkies though...EE and BR [​IMG]

Can't wait!!

~Natasha

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Congratulations, and welcome to the insanity!! [​IMG]

There are stickies around here with info on incubating. [​IMG] Set up your incubator now, and get the temps close to where they need to be so that it's ready to go when the eggs arrive.
    Candle them to see if there are any hairline cracks from shipping. Mark any that have cracks so you can watch them. Some people dip the cracked portion in a plain wax to seal the egg... I have one in the incubator that had a bullseye crack and I didn't wax it... it's in the hatcher! [​IMG]
    Let the eggs settle for 4-6 hours, upright in a carton, before setting in the incubator. Then the waiting begins!

What incubator do you have?

6. thegoogers

Oct 6, 2008
    Cleveland, TN
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Let the eggs settle for 4-6 hours, upright in a carton, before setting in the incubator.

Don't mean to hijack [​IMG] What exactly do you mean by right side up? I want to make sure I do it right [​IMG]

~Natasha​

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You set them with the smaller end down, the big, more rounded end, with the air sac, up. [​IMG]

8. thegoogers

Oct 6, 2008
    Cleveland, TN
    Thank you!!!! That is what I was going to do but to me that is upside down [​IMG] Just wanted to make sure [​IMG]

9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Yup... upright is pointy end down. [​IMG]

10. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Welcome thegoogers! We will be waiting together it looks like.

I am so extremely nervous that I'll mess it up! I just got a humidity gauge at Walmart, & it looks to be on the high side. At about 65, that is to high for the 1st 18 days correct? Shouldn't it be about 40-45? I will have to sponge some of the H20 out & see what that brings. I want to make sure everything is perfect when the eggs go in.

I let my PO know that the eggs were coming on Fri/Sat & they hung notes all over the PO & they are so excited too [​IMG] We're all nuts! [​IMG]

OMG I am so excited.

One other ?....if I use the egg carton method at the end, does it matter if it is the cardboard or styrofoam type carton?

What if I want to get another batch & stagger hatches....maybe I shouldn't this is my 1st time, I don't want to screw things up. Oh help! [​IMG] Ok, I'm [​IMG] Just had a moment there....[​IMG] Yeah....who needs sleep! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by