Ordered some silkie chickies :D

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BlueBirdChick, Nov 12, 2010.

1. BlueBirdChick

BlueBirdChick On Vacation

Aug 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    just ordered 7 black silkie chicks a st run so Im hoping I get some girls lol hahahaaaaa.

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Very cool! - I got mine back in the spring - I have 1 buff hen, 1 black hen & 1 black rooster.

I started out with several more - I kept the hens & removed the roosters with the above mentioned exception.

They are really cool.

Be sure to feed them treats when they are a week old or so - that way when they are grown up they will follow you around.

3. BlueBirdChick

BlueBirdChick On Vacation

Aug 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    [​IMG]
    will do cannot wait to get them [​IMG]

4. kleeo12

kleeo12 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2010
    What kind of treats are good for 1 week olds?!?!

5. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    I usually don't give treats until the third week, give the chicks digestive system time to settle down and that it works right. I start out with very soft foods(ones that can digest with the saliva and normal stomach acids), scramble eggs is good for protein while they are feathering. My babies are now 3 weeks and they love cooked and mushed sweet potatoes, watermelon, scrambled eggs. I also add grit to their food so they can digest grains and I will start that this week. I will wait a bit longer before giving them scratch, but once they are outside I give them scratch in the evenings to encourage them to roost, and gives them something to look for while scratching the bedding.

Enjoy your babies [​IMG]

6. kleeo12

kleeo12 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2010
    Ok!!!! Another question....do they need grit if their outside run is on (florida)sand flooring?? Also, scratch encourages them roost? Im a newbie so im soaking in all this wonderful advise [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by