Super worried about the safe arrival of the two pilgrim goslings I ordered, they shipped out from Metzer Farms on Monday . . . Any thoughts?

lilolilman

Songster
Jun 22, 2021
Long Island, NY
Hi all,

I am new here and I have found this forum to be very informative and helpful so far, so I figured I'd join and make a post. My boyfriend and I ordered two pilgrim goslings (a male and a female) from Metzer and they shipped out Monday night from CA. I live in Long Island, NY. I got a notification that they will arrive by Wednesday at 6pm, but I have quickly learned that the shipping and tracking info is basically useless for day-old baby birds. I did a lot of research on the front end before I ordered them about whether shipping them would be okay, and it seems like standard practice, so I went for it (I looked real hard to find a local farm where I could get goslings and there's literally nothing around here, especially this late in the season).

I am immediately regretting this decision to ship them and I am totally freaking out and worrying about their safe arrival. We only wanted two, but I feel like maybe I should have ordered more as it seems safer if there's a few more (I guess two babies get jostled around a lot and when there's a few more it's a bit safer). Also, in the event something goes wrong, I'm worrying that they both won't make it, or if one doesn't make it,I will wind up with a lonely gosling -- which seems really unfair to the baby because I see how important it is for the babies to have at least one friend.

I am really, really hoping they come in tomorrow morning (wednesday), but I see that it is very possible they won't be here til thursday. Is it usually two days or three for a cross country shipment like this? I thought the distance was the factor, but it seems like the more rural areas actually cause longer shipment times, and I'm hoping since I'm on long island (even though i'm pretty far out east) that the shipping times will be better than if I were in a more rural part of the country.

I have an awesome brooder set up and ready to go, but I'm trying not to get too excited in the event that something goes wrong. I have the electrolyte and nutrient supplements ready, too.

I am just looking for any advice, thoughts, or experience here as I prepare for the worst tomorrow, but hope for the best.

Kimberly

Last edited:
I ordered 2 tufted Roman geese from Metzer and they were very healthy and happy together! Sadly my dog got one this last weekend, so now I have a lonely gosling I’m trying to find a single friend for, which is impossible. His name is Donald.
:)
Good luck, hope they are healthy and happy!

This is Donald

Attachments

• E0A2D88B-1BAD-405E-9457-11F10395B90D.jpeg
    E0A2D88B-1BAD-405E-9457-11F10395B90D.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 62F77459-A50C-4236-98B3-1413809CC518.jpeg
    62F77459-A50C-4236-98B3-1413809CC518.jpeg
    483.5 KB · Views: 4
  • DA76BE00-1124-4BC1-BFE2-19157519A442.jpeg
    DA76BE00-1124-4BC1-BFE2-19157519A442.jpeg
    276.6 KB · Views: 5
I ordered 2 tufted Roman geese from Metzer and they were very healthy and happy together! Sadly my dog got one this last weekend, so now I have a lonely gosling I’m trying to find a single friend for, which is impossible. His name is Donald.
:)
Good luck, hope they are healthy and happy!

This is Donald
Oh hi Donald! He’s so cute. I actually was reading your posts today I appreciate you commenting on my post :). I’m so sorry about your loss. I have been searching far and wide for local birds so I didn’t have to do this shipping thing, and I was having some minor success with Craigslist. The closest drive was like 4 hours, but I am going to drive somewhere and pick up another baby gosling in the event something goes wrong with my shipment. Maybe take a look there??

Hi all,

I am new here and I have found this forum to be very informative and helpful so far, so I figured I'd join and make a post. My boyfriend and I ordered two pilgrim goslings (a male and a female) from Metzer and they shipped out last night from CA. I live in Long Island, NY. I got a notification that they will arrive by Wednesday at 6pm, but I have quickly learned that the shipping and tracking info is basically useless for day-old baby birds. I did a lot of research on the front end before I ordered them about whether shipping them would be okay, and it seems like standard practice, so I went for it (I looked real hard to find a local farm where I could get goslings and there's literally nothing around here, especially this late in the season).

I am immediately regretting this decision to ship them and I am totally freaking out and worrying about their safe arrival. We only wanted two, but I feel like maybe I should have ordered more as it seems safer if there's a few more (I guess two babies get jostled around a lot and when there's a few more it's a bit safer). Also, in the event something goes wrong, I'm worrying that they both won't make it, or if one doesn't make it,I will wind up with a lonely gosling -- which seems really unfair to the baby because I see how important it is for the babies to have at least one friend.

I am really, really hoping they come in tomorrow morning (wednesday), but I see that it is very possible they won't be here til thursday. Is it usually two days or three for a cross country shipment like this? I thought the distance was the factor, but it seems like the more rural areas actually cause longer shipment times, and I'm hoping since I'm on long island (even though i'm pretty far out east) that the shipping times will be better than if I were in a more rural part of the country.

I have an awesome brooder set up and ready to go, but I'm trying not to get too excited in the event that something goes wrong. I have the electrolyte and nutrient supplements ready, too.

I am just looking for any advice, thoughts, or experience here as I prepare for the worst tomorrow, but hope for the best.

Kimberly
I was really hoping I’d get the call this morning from the PO (I called them yesterday and they’re on the lookout) but it didn’t happen. I just called and the very nice woman at the PO said they aren’t there yet. My understanding is they usually come in on shipments in the AM and people tend to get calls to pick them up before the place isn’t even open.

does anyone ever get shipments of chicks during the day? The tracking says it will be delivered by 6pm today… but the PO closes at 5 :/

Gosh, I'd be worried too with the post office delays lately, but agree that Metzer is great about shipping birds safely. I once hatched a goose on christmas day in my bator. As soon as egg went into lockdown, I had metzer ship me a pair of pekins in serious freezing temps to arrive on Dec. 26. They are all 4.5 years old now.

Gosh, I'd be worried too with the post office delays lately, but agree that Metzer is great about shipping birds safely. I once hatched a goose on christmas day in my bator. As soon as egg went into lockdown, I had metzer ship me a pair of pekins in serious freezing temps to arrive on Dec. 26. They are all 4.5 years old now.
success stories are really great to hear right now. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom