Ordered VERY FIRST Eggs to be hatched by my broody!! I'm nervous now!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PamB, Oct 26, 2010.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I finally gave in (and convinced my husband) that we should just give our broody some eggs to hatch since she seems very determined to sit in that darn nesting box all day! So, I ordered only three eggs because I really don't want many more chickens right now. I have pretty much no idea what I am doing and I'm wondering now if I made a mistake ordering these eggs...getting cold feet I suppose. Any advice??

2. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I probably would have gotten at least 6 because of the toll shipping takes on them, but once you give them to the hen she will know what to do.

3. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Yea, I probably should have gotten more but, like I said, it's my first time and I'm just not sure about this whole thing yet...haha. My roosters are all young still, but once they are mating, I'll have plenty of eggs available for hatching. I just figured I'd give it a try. I have been told I need to separate her which I don't really want to do because all of the other silkies have been visiting her and a couple will even go into the coop and nap next to her. It is really sweet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by