Ordering a large batch of meat birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by blucoondawg, Dec 8, 2013.

1. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Some friends have expressed interest in ordering a large number of chicks together, probably be upwards of 100 birds, I have the space to raise them here and everyone will pitch in for feed and help butcher. I was wondering if anyone has advice on a good hatchey to order from as far as price and decent mortality of the birds, will likely be getting the CX unless we change our minds and go for the red ranger type. Thanks for any input.

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I love Central Hatchery in Nebraska. Great prices and big, healthy chicks that arrive in great shape, even when they've been delayed by the post office. Not sure if they ship this time of year, though.

3. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    probably not, I won't be ordering for a while, sometime in mid to late spring would be ideal I just want to see what there is for hatcheries out there besides the main few I always deal with or hear about, McMurray, Meyer, Cackle, Ideal

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  4. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I've raised a large batch from Meyer, some from the feed store (Ideal and probably McMurray), and I've found that Central chicks do the best for us and tend to grow faster. I always make sure I pay them before the chicks ship. We've ordered 4 or 5 times from them - between 100 & 125 chicks each time - and things have gone fine with healthy chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by