ordering baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shmeggs, Dec 8, 2013.

1. shmeggs

shmeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    when ordering baby chicks how do they keep them alive long enough to ship them

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

They are still digesting the egg yolk when they are day olds. The same chicks, if shipped at 4 days old would die en route (no food/water).

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  3. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Chicks, right before they hatch, absorb the yolk in the egg. They pull it into their stomach and it provides them enough sustenance to live on for two to three days, a natural evolution that is a way to keep them alive while their mother remains on the nest trying to hatch other eggs after they hatch. Hatcheries cash out on this by shipping day old chicks that have just absorbed their yolk. It gives them just enough nutrition to make the journey, most of the time.

4. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    The other two already said it, but I'm just going to add the heat/cool factor. Most places that ship chicks require a minimum amount of chicks in the order - especially during cooler months. The number of chicks in the order is supposed to help them keep each other warm during transit. But sometimes they will use heat packs on them as well.

But some shippers also use GroGel to ship their chicks. It's essentially a jelly-like substance that absorbs water, and has nutrients for them to survive on for a short while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by