Ordering bantams ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tneggchic, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Tneggchic

Tneggchic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2014
    If this is the wrong forum im sorry ! My question is are there any hatcheries that any one would recommend for bantams ? I am really debating on switching my whole flock over to the smaller chicken for space reasons and the fact that i enjoy them almost more than my standard chickens.. crazy yes it may seem .. but ive also noticed a higher sell rate for even roosters on my local swap pages .. however there is never any pullets or hens. So right now im stuck with my frizzle i kept from my hatch and my two lone pullets .. and what can i say other than i want more !

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I'm not looking for show quality birds, but have been happy with bantams of several breeds from MurrayMcMurray. They will vaccinate for Marek's disease, a big plus. Mary

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have bought bantams from Welp and McMurray and been pleased. Also MyPetChicken (and been pleased).

4. Tneggchic

Mar 24, 2014
    Im not worried about show either .. and i like broody hens .. but i have no egg laying broody bantams yet !! and that is a plus on vaccinations !

5. Tneggchic

Mar 24, 2014
    Do you have any pictures ? do these places have a large variety ? Ive been incubating .. but im getting way more roosters and i feel as though i could buy pullets maybe cheaper than hatching ..

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    MMcM only sends straight run bantams, as do most hatcheries and all breeders. The little guys are too fragile for vent sexing to be a good idea; that's what I've been told. My Belgian d'Uccles are very broody and cute. The buff Brahma and light Brahma bantams are way nicer than the big ones, IMO. My Ameracauna bantam (only one) came from a breeder, and she was wonderfully friendly. I do like the big birds, but will always have bantams. Mary[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]And there's my MMcM mystery chick, a Fayoumi cockrel. Too cute!

1 person likes this.
  8. Tneggchic

Mar 24, 2014
    Love these !! And surely i would have better luck even at straight run .. :( my last 12 eggs hatched and out of the 8 that made it 6 were roosters ..lol .. I try to make light of the situation and laugh as i also have 4 boys who love helping me with the chickens , and all my other animals - cat and dog are boys as well .. :) my horse is the only gal other than my pullets !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by