Ordering Buckeyes?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Uzuri, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Anyone know where to get them? Meyer Hatchery should have them, but I'm not clear on what's up with their site, they don't appear to be taking orders.

2. Sara1982

Sara1982 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2008
    Paris KY
    I got the new Meyer catalog today and they were in there but had a limit on how many you could order. They may be updating/working on their site. Maybe better luck in a day or 2 [​IMG]

3. JamesA

JamesA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia
    I have buckeyes and will be shipping chicks when the weather warms up.Go to the buckeye thread and you can see my birds.They are very nice show quality birds. [​IMG]

4. Quailbuddy

Quailbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    what is a buckeye ?

5. Uzuri

Mar 25, 2009
    This is [​IMG] http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Buck/BRKBuckeye.html

Or
    it's a slightly crazy OSU fan. I'm only interested in buying the chickens [​IMG]

Thanks Sara -- what was the limit? We're only probably going to order about 20.

James -- we're planing on raising them for meat, which would be a waste of such beautiful show birds! But thank you for letting us know! My friend who I'm splitting the order with had talked about possible breeding them in the future, so I will pass on your name to her.

6. greenpeeps

greenpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Greenford, Ohio
    I ordered my buckeyes from a feedstore close to me. I was told they ordered 100 from Myers but will only get 25. I'm only getting 4. [​IMG]

7. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    The buckeyes are probably limited because of the wonderful job of promoting this heritage breed has been done, that their popularity has surprised the hatcheries. However, don't be surprised if the hatchery birds are not as nice and meaty as the "show birds" Like always, in a push to get as many on the market as possible, they hatch from anything they get their hands on, to get the numbers up. It may not be too bad this year, but by next year, I look for the quality to take a nosedive. Unless it is an exceptional hatchery. I don't know what the status at sandhill is on buckeyes, but I heard they had good birds.

8. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Oops, double post.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  9. Uzuri

Mar 25, 2009
    Jen, yes, I think you're right. Our real hope was Sandhill since they're about preserving breeds rather than making money, but I strongly suspect we're already too late (I'm trying to contact them to find out if we are before I send out an order; because their orders are mail only I hate to have money tied up waiting to see if the order will be rejected while I could be ordering from elsewhere). I probably should have mentioned that in my first post!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by