Ordering chick in summer

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by driehuis, Jun 16, 2011.

1. driehuis

driehuis Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    I am thinking about ordering some chicks from McMurray. I know there are obvious complications when shipping anytime of year, but I was wondering what people's experiences were with ordering during hot weather. You can't always depend on the USPS to keep them at reasonable temperatures. I got an order in February and lost quite a few, due to stress and the cold I think. I don't want another repeat of that. Just trying to figure out the best time of year to order.

2. Mama_Chicken

Mama_Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Statenville, Ga
    I got in an order from Cackle on June 3rd. It was shipped from Missouri to Southern Georgia and I had no problems what so ever!! They were hatched on the first, so they spent 2 days in the mailing system, too. Where are you located at? I wouldn't think it would be much of a problem since you're supposed to keep them so warm for the first weeks anyway. The only thing I would be worried about is extreme (and unusal) heat that's going on now!

3. driehuis

driehuis Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    I am in Western Colorado and also got my previous shipment in two days. You've got a great point in that we are supposed to keep them so warm for the first week or so anyway. Maybe it is the best time of year!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by